How to prove work experience (in case of small assignments)
Thread poster: Valentina Ferreri
Valentina Ferreri
Valentina Ferreri
Ireland
Local time: 23:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 15, 2009

Hi all!
I'm getting started as freelance translator, I’m not getting many assignments, but I managed to get a small translation job from an individual, not a company.
Everything is being handled privately, I have no contract or anything similar.
If I want to mention on my CV I worked on this project, how can I prove I did the translation?
I would like to know how do you usually document these assignments to claim these as work experience, if there's no contract and yo
... See more
Hi all!
I'm getting started as freelance translator, I’m not getting many assignments, but I managed to get a small translation job from an individual, not a company.
If I want to mention on my CV I worked on this project, how can I prove I did the translation?
I would like to know how do you usually document these assignments to claim these as work experience, if there's no contract and your name doesn't show up on the translation?!
Part of the project is the translation of a website, should I ask the client to write somewhere that I took charge of the Italian version of the website?
Many questions... I hope someone can give me some tips, I would be very glad.
Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing from you.
Valentina
Collapse

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
Local time: 00:33
German to English
+ ...
Invoice Mar 15, 2009

I would think the invoice would do the trick. You need to keep invoices for tax purposes anyway. Just make sure you itemise the work you did on the invoice

Maria Castro
Maria Castro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
project history Mar 15, 2009

Hi Valentina,

You can use the project history section in your profile. This way you can keep record of the translations you have done and, at the same time, show potential clients which fields you've been working on.

Regards,

Maria

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
WWA Mar 15, 2009

valefer wrote:

Hi all!
I would like to know how do you usually document these assignments to claim these as work experience, if there's no contract and your name doesn't show up on the translation?!
Part of the project is the translation of a website, should I ask the client to write somewhere that I took charge of the Italian version of the website?
Many questions... I hope someone can give me some tips, I would be very glad.
Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing from you.
Valentina

Use the WWA System it's the best ...

Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
References Mar 16, 2009

Hi,

I recommend you ask your private clients about short references for you, if possible.

At the beginning of my freelnace activity I have submited contact details to my clients in my CV, on this way your new clients can be sure, that you have some experience.

With best wishes,
Ann

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Admin maintenance Mar 16, 2009

I assume you are (or will be) maintaining some kind of project tracker, in which you enter the job and client details.

Otherwise, a copy of the invoice usually suffices.

Valentina Ferreri
Valentina Ferreri
Ireland
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 16, 2009

Thank you all for your help and useful tips!
Regards,
Valentina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to prove work experience (in case of small assignments)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »