Mobile menu

How can I find a Russian in-house positions in London?
Thread poster: Natalia Millman

Natalia Millman
Local time: 12:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 11, 2003

Hi fellow translators,

I am a bit disappointed with the situation I am in at the moment and would appreciate if you give me some advice.

I am a native Russian speaker who lives in London, with all the permits and residency.

I have never had any actual experience of working apart from translations that I have done at Imperial.

I have just finished my MSc in Technical, Medical and Scientific Translation at Imperial College. The title sounds impressive, doesn't it? But..... there is always but. I can't find an in-house position. May be I am doing something wrong.

Although I have a translator's degree, I also know how to do localisationg, proof-reading an revision. I have thought that in-house position would be great in the beginning, when I can get experience and work in a team of translators. Noone wants Russians because it is neither German or Spanish,or Italian or French.

I have sent my CV to hundreds of companies who "will keep it on file" (will they really do so?). I have also build my own website www.ekalinka.com

I have build a few glossaries and can easily use Trados, SDLX, Deja Vu and Star. In addition, I am learning how to use properly Photoshop and Dreamweaver and reading tons of informaiton about science, technology and medicine.

What is wrong then?? How can I find a Russian in-house positions in London??

All your comments are welcome!

Thanks,
Natalia

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
BBC Overseas Service Aug 11, 2003

It isn't exactly straight translating, but have you thought of applying to the BBC Overseas Service (Bush House, Aldwych, at the end of the Strand). I don't know precisely what their requirements are but on the face of it, you seem well qualified for broadcasting, editing foreign texts, writing articles in foreign languages etc.

Natalia Millman
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried Aug 11, 2003

THanks for your help,

I called them up, but unfortunately they don\'t require any staff at present and in the near future because they have enough language professionals:(

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
BBC Monitoring Aug 11, 2003

OK, another possibility might be BBC Monitoring. I don't know if the location would be a problem for you, it is at Caversham Park just north of Reading - not London but within about 40 miles of it and plenty of people commute.
I worked there for 27 years (1963-1990). It's mostly translating from Moscow Radio and Russian Television. Again I don't know their precise current requirements, but it might be worth a try if you haven't thought of it already. I could send you more (though not very up-to-date) information about it by email if you like.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
English to Tamil
+ ...
Let's face facts Aug 11, 2003

Employing a full-time translator is the last resort in these days of outsourcing, when even routine recruitments are handled by outsourcers. If you are unable to get full-time translation jobs, my advice (which I have followed myself) will be to get into some other job and do translations on the side. In that way you can contact agencies to be included in their panels and this not necessarily confined to London. And you will not be desperate to accept rockbottom prices.
Here is wishing you all the best.

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 06:59
English to Russian
+ ...
One hint Aug 12, 2003

Please try Universal Translations, large Houston-based translation agency. They have an office in London, and they were looking for an in-house position some 3-4 months ago. They will really keep you on file, but... you will find yourself in a "heavy oil" up to your ears:). I strongly suspect they were looking for an "oil professional". Talk to them anyway. Owner's name - Marion Rivkind, and it's better to call her in Houston, than with whoever it is London. Once in a while they might require someone like document control dealing with clients and translators. Quite often this position involves proof-reading, small translations. You will study the project, learn some oil terminology, etc. Don't discard the offer flatly, think about it - you'll get a terrific experience, "taste" the translation world, most important - you'll set a foot there. A good job comes along only when you already have one!

Natalia Millman
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you note Aug 12, 2003

Hi,

thank you so much for your sopport and hints.

I will try all of them. My batteries of enthusiasm are still running and I am not going to give up.

Thanks

Natalia

Natalia Millman
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Irene!!! Aug 12, 2003

Dear Irene,

thanks for your help. I have searched for Universal Translation on the Internet but the only similar company is registered in Canada, Toronto. I guess it is not the one! Have you got by any chance their website address?? Thanks.

Natalia

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 06:59
English to Russian
+ ...
My fault, Natasha Aug 12, 2003

Universe Translations

http://members.fortunecity.com/lb13/areas.html
Try to search them by UTT here on Proz. Check Russian pair jobs. They show up with bids here once in a while. There you'll find their e-mail.

Good luck!

louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
maybe not as a translator? Sep 22, 2003

Have you considered maybe not holding out for jobs as an actual translator for a while, to get some experience? For instance, I just finished my MA in Translation too, but I couldn't find an inhouse job either, so I started going for jobs as a project manager. You get to work in translation, and your new skills are valued, so you learn alot about the industry (such as working with freelancers and translation technology) so you get to know how that works, but you have a regular wage and the fact that you are a beginner is accounted for. Some places taking on PMs will also allow you to do some translation in your spare time.

I now work as a localisation PM, and I'm learning so much. I do a bit of proofreading, I check translations and I'm learning alot about IT too, such as DTP and so on. This experience will be invaluable when I finally decide to go freelance or apply for an inhouse job if I can find one! Also, the language issue is not so vital as its the translation skills they are after, not so much the specific language.

I see you are in London, so try www.1sttransnational.com (I think they are currently recruiting for PMs) or www.wordbank.com. The good thing about London is alot of stuff is going from English to other languages, so companies like to have PMs with foreign languages!

HTH

theangel  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:59
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
That's the Universe I know... Sep 24, 2003

8707 Katy Freeway, Suite 208, Houston, TX 77024
Phone: (713) 827-8800, Fax: (713) 464-5511, Modem: (713) 464-6641
Email: Universe@pdq.net, Website: UniverseTranslation.com

HTH
Good luck in your search

tatyanawy
English to Russian
It's hopeless Nov 8, 2003

I also live in the UK. And a translator as well. You can consider your degree as a waste of time. I work freelance and my degree is from one of the cis countries' university. nobody ever asked me whether I had a master's or whether it was a local uni I got my qualifications from. all private companies care about is whether you can actually do it and there is only one way to prove that. You guessed it, by actually having done it for some UK company or organisation.

You can try working freelance at first. But I am pretty sure you won't see many in-house jobs WITH RUSSIAN advertised.

Switch to something else before it's too late. I know it's harsh but it's true.

Regarding jobs with BBC. It's very competitive and I actually saw one advertised a couple of months ago. I don't think though that just having Master's will be enough. Exeprience, esp working in a similar environment might get you a job there.

Languages are only useful coupled with some PROFESSION. and there is not much call for inhouse translators. Agencies can send their stuff to the Ukraine by email and have it done for nothing. I don't presume you would like to charge same rates as someone in the Ukraine. You just simply won't survive in London.

Good luck trying though!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I find a Russian in-house positions in London?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs