Contracts - do you sign one every job you get on the internet?
Thread poster: Katia Perry
Katia Perry
Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 24, 2003

Would you mind telling me whether you sign a contract for every job you get, even when it is accepted through internet?
I am starting working this way and don't know which is the "usual" way.
Thanks for any answer.
Regards,
Katia

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:47
English to German
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 24, 2003

Sometimes it is requested to sign a contract, usually the emails suffice, sometimes even a phone call suffices.
In any way a contract is concluded, the difference is only how well you could prove what has been agreed upon in the contract.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It depends... Aug 24, 2003

Dear Katia,
It depends on the client. Most of my clients send me a PO (Purchase Order) and do not require a signature from me. I also have some clients who want me to sign their PO before I start working on a project. A few times, when I am I asked to work on a big project for a new client, I make them sign a contract and pay half of the money up front before I start working on their project. This is my experience. Use your instinct as well. If you are asked to work for a reliable and trus
... See more
Dear Katia,
It depends on the client. Most of my clients send me a PO (Purchase Order) and do not require a signature from me. I also have some clients who want me to sign their PO before I start working on a project. A few times, when I am I asked to work on a big project for a new client, I make them sign a contract and pay half of the money up front before I start working on their project. This is my experience. Use your instinct as well. If you are asked to work for a reliable and trusted company, there is not much to worry. If you are asked to work for some company you never heard of, or nobody knows them, then take all the precautious measurements (make them sign a contract, get their contact info, call them etc.) Hope this helps,
Monika

perry wrote:

Would you mind telling me whether you sign a contract for every job you get, even when it is accepted through internet?
Thanks for any answer.
Regards,
Katia
Collapse

Katia Perry
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Harry May 13, 2004

Harry_B wrote:

Sometimes it is requested to sign a contract, usually the emails suffice, sometimes even a phone call suffices.
In any way a contract is concluded, the difference is only how well you could prove what has been agreed upon in the contract.

Katia Perry
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Monika May 13, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

Dear Katia,
It depends on the client. Most of my clients send me a PO (Purchase Order) and do not require a signature from me. I also have some clients who want me to sign their PO before I start working on a project. A few times, when I am I asked to work on a big project for a new client, I make them sign a contract and pay half of the money up front before I start working on their project. This is my experience. Use your instinct as well. If you are asked to work for a reliable and trusted company, there is not much to worry. If you are asked to work for some company you never heard of, or nobody knows them, then take all the precautious measurements (make them sign a contract, get their contact info, call them etc.) Hope this helps,
Monika

perry wrote:

Thanks for any answer.
Regards,
Katia

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Very rarely May 14, 2004

perry wrote:

Very rarely. I determine whether a client or agency is bona fides in various ways, and I'm sure the client or agency does the same about me, and then the e-mail should suffice as a formal agreement.

Katia Perry
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Samuel May 16, 2004

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

perry wrote:

Very rarely. I determine whether a client or agency is bona fides in various ways, and I'm sure the client or agency does the same about me, and then the e-mail should suffice as a formal agreement.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contracts - do you sign one every job you get on the internet?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »