Rates for academic text translation ?
Thread poster: dco
dco
dco  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
German to English
Sep 23, 2003

i have been asked to quote a price for a book of roughly 300 pages - academic text with some research involved. we usually charge about 36 euro per page. any ideas on quoting for this type of job?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Quote by the word... Sep 24, 2003

...not by the page. One man's page can be another man's postage stamp and yet another's Bible.

So figure out the words; if the pages are fairly uniform you can take an average, multiply by pages and there's the number. You don't actually count by the word.

But you do charge by the word.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
German to English
+ ...
Quoting Sep 24, 2003

dco,

I agree with Henry in as much as the unit of volume needs to be clarified with the customer, if you are going to quote by volume. The "page" may well be1,800 characters or whatever it is the publishing industry uses. If your customer will only accept a quote in this form, make sure the terms are clear - whether the figure includes spaces, etc.

Personally, I would insist on seeing a copy of the text first, and would then quote a fixed price for the whole job.
... See more
dco,

I agree with Henry in as much as the unit of volume needs to be clarified with the customer, if you are going to quote by volume. The "page" may well be1,800 characters or whatever it is the publishing industry uses. If your customer will only accept a quote in this form, make sure the terms are clear - whether the figure includes spaces, etc.

Personally, I would insist on seeing a copy of the text first, and would then quote a fixed price for the whole job.

What do you mean by "with some research involved"?

Marc
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for academic text translation ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »