rate for webpages
Thread poster: leotodaro
leotodaro
leotodaro
Local time: 10:34
Danish to Italian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2003

Hi, an agency just requested me a quote for translating a few webpages (html).

As my experience is that html requires more care/time that translating in Word, I'd rather apply a bit higher quote. Is that acceptable, or shall I just apply my average rates? What do you do?

Thanks in advance, Leo

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:34
It depends Oct 23, 2003

Can you just paste this text into MS Word and work on it as you would on any other text? In this case, it's not really more work (a minute or two?), so I wouldn't charge more.

On the other hand, if it requires sophisticated formatting/editing and indeed takes you longer than a regular text would (as you indicated), simply charge accordingly. If you usually charge 100 gold coins per word, and this translation takes you 20% longer than a regular job would, simply charge 120 gold coins
... See more
Can you just paste this text into MS Word and work on it as you would on any other text? In this case, it's not really more work (a minute or two?), so I wouldn't charge more.

On the other hand, if it requires sophisticated formatting/editing and indeed takes you longer than a regular text would (as you indicated), simply charge accordingly. If you usually charge 100 gold coins per word, and this translation takes you 20% longer than a regular job would, simply charge 120 gold coins.

HTH, Norbert
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:34
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, do ask for a higher rate Oct 23, 2003

I am in the process of translating a website for a regular client and I am feeling so discouraged. This is a terribly tedious job, full of text boxes, photos with captions...I cannot just copy and paste it into Word as I would have loved to have been able to do. The time that I'm spending on the job will make my final rate come down to about 2 cents per source word! I can't believe it. I have translated websites before, but they were so much easier, clients have often put the text into Excel... See more
I am in the process of translating a website for a regular client and I am feeling so discouraged. This is a terribly tedious job, full of text boxes, photos with captions...I cannot just copy and paste it into Word as I would have loved to have been able to do. The time that I'm spending on the job will make my final rate come down to about 2 cents per source word! I can't believe it. I have translated websites before, but they were so much easier, clients have often put the text into Excel format which helps a lot and goes faster. I don't think that I will be paid any more than what was originally agreed on. Next time I will definitely ask for more, 20%sounds fair to me.

[Edited at 2003-10-23 20:57]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try catscradle (freeware) Oct 24, 2003

Many times before this links was posted:
http://www.stormdance.freeserve.co.uk/dx/catscradle/key%20features.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rate for webpages

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »