Mobile menu

Terms & Conditions
Thread poster: Els Immegeers

Els Immegeers  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:56
English to Flemish
+ ...
Dec 9, 2003

I am looking for examples of terms & conditions which can be used when working with 'private clients' rather than with agencies. If possible: an English & Dutch translation.

Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check these sites: Dec 9, 2003

Hi Els

Take a look at:

Hope this helps

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:56
English to German
+ ...
T&Cs Dec 9, 2003

Have a look at the ITI's site under "publications" Guide #019 recommended model general terms of business for commissioned translation work. HTH.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Combine T&C with job order Dec 12, 2003

I am looking for examples of terms & conditions which can be used when working with 'private clients' rather than with agencies.

One can get very, very technical and nitpicky with terms and conditions (T&C). But it's not always necessary. A simpler approach may be to combine the T&C with the job order into a single document.

You see, even if you stipulate penalties and such, it'll be very expensive to enforce them in case of dispute. It's better to rather just deal with clients you can trust (easier said than done).

A colleague of mine has a one page T&C cum job order which he faxes to the client for signature and faxing back. This includes a general description of the job, the deadline, and the amount agreed upon. It also includes three or four paragraphs stating very *general* terms and conditions, addressing issues like confidentiality, how to deal with untranslatables, the limits of liability (the limit of his liability is the total amount that he gets paid for the job, and not a penny more), etc.

For small, private or once-off clients such a document may be a lot "friendlier" and easier to deal with than reams and reams of T&Cs. My2c.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terms & Conditions

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs