https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/16783-need_help_getting_started.html

need help getting started
Thread poster: paula arturo
paula arturo
paula arturo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2003

Hi everyone,
My name's Paula. I've been living in Argentina for the past 3 years and working as an in-company language trainer. I've recently discovered my love for translating and signed up at Lenguas Vivas and McDonough where I major in both written and simultaneous translation. I'm half American and half Argentinean and 100% bilingual. I've been trying to get started as a translator and find myself overwhelmed. I'm not quite good at getting stuff to translate but really good at actually
... See more
Hi everyone,
My name's Paula. I've been living in Argentina for the past 3 years and working as an in-company language trainer. I've recently discovered my love for translating and signed up at Lenguas Vivas and McDonough where I major in both written and simultaneous translation. I'm half American and half Argentinean and 100% bilingual. I've been trying to get started as a translator and find myself overwhelmed. I'm not quite good at getting stuff to translate but really good at actually translating. Does anyone have a word of advice for me?
paula
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Getting started is very on-topic Dec 18, 2003

In fact, this question is quite on-topic for this forum. Here are some shortcuts to advice on this topic:

First steps
Should a beginner charge discount rates to get established? NO!
Marketing materials
<
... See more
In fact, this question is quite on-topic for this forum. Here are some shortcuts to advice on this topic:

First steps
Should a beginner charge discount rates to get established? NO!
Marketing materials
Getting direct clients
Where to look for clients

And to find more discussions with plenty of helpful tips, try a search on this site (using the search box on the left-hand side). Search on the keywords "business card" (WITHOUT the quotes) and check "Forums". You will find helpful advice about finding clients that deals with much more than just business cards.

[Edited at 2003-12-18 18:48]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

need help getting started

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »