Thread poster: Irai Freire
Irai Freire
Irai Freire  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2003

Hi everybody: I've been a translator for about 7 years (English into Spanish, mainly). This is my first time posting a question in a forum.

I already have information about this topic, the thing is that on the Internet I only found information (in English) from the point of view of insurance companies.

In my country (Argentina) apparently we don't have this type of insurance. So, I should contract it in the States. But, as far as I know it is rather expensive. Is it wor
... See more
Hi everybody: I've been a translator for about 7 years (English into Spanish, mainly). This is my first time posting a question in a forum.

I already have information about this topic, the thing is that on the Internet I only found information (in English) from the point of view of insurance companies.

In my country (Argentina) apparently we don't have this type of insurance. So, I should contract it in the States. But, as far as I know it is rather expensive. Is it worth having an insurance (mistranslation, not meeting deadlines)? I started to consider the possibility when applying for a translation agency. One of the items asked if I had professional liability insurance.
Thanks a bunch!
Iraí Rayén Freire
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
search the forums for "indemnity insurance" Dec 19, 2003

Hola Iraí,

That's how it's normally called.
Here's one of the many threads, and I agree with most of the opinions that it's not worth it.
http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&ViewTopic&post=49864#49864

I was looking into it when I started in Argentina, but for the same reasons you said, I didn't get any.
When I moved into the UK, I realised
... See more
Hola Iraí,

That's how it's normally called.
Here's one of the many threads, and I agree with most of the opinions that it's not worth it.
http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&ViewTopic&post=49864#49864

I was looking into it when I started in Argentina, but for the same reasons you said, I didn't get any.
When I moved into the UK, I realised that it wasn't worth it.

I would consider it, though, if a huge contract depended on it, but as many have already said, in my over 15 years of translating I have NEVER had a single complaint about my work, and I think that means something.

Buena suerte!!
Grace.
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:34
Finnish to English
I wouldn't bother Dec 20, 2003

I have never heard of anyone needing it,and I don't know of anyone who has it. In any case I would have thought that if a job comes from an agency the contract is between you and the agency, and then there is another between the agency and the commissioner.
Most of my work is for information purposes only (as far as I know) and so any slips may be acceptable (not that I make any, of course!).
Furthermore, the premium is overpriced, in my opinion.

Spencer

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:34
English to French
+ ...
Not needed at all Dec 24, 2003

Anyone wanting to sue you over the quality of your work would have to prove that:
1. you misrepresented your qualifications and experience;
2. you deliberatly provided misleading translation;
3. they had no way of catching the incriminated translation (they did not proofread);
4. they suffered actual damages;
5. there is a clear causal link between your translation and their damages.

There is no need for such insurance. Save the premiums and upgrade you
... See more
Anyone wanting to sue you over the quality of your work would have to prove that:
3. they had no way of catching the incriminated translation (they did not proofread);

There is no need for such insurance. Save the premiums and upgrade your software instead.

Happy Holidays

[Edited at 2003-12-27 02:46]
Collapse

Gerard Burns Jr.
Gerard Burns Jr.
United States
Local time: 19:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
In which legal system? Dec 25, 2003

[quote]Abdellatif Bouhid wrote:

3. that had no way of catching the incriminated translation (they did not proofread);

I'm sure you are right for most translators, but we shouldn't forget that the law can be very different in different countries. In addition, in some countries I could name, but won't, cases are decided in favor of whoever offers the judge the most money.
Michael Burns
Lambaré, PARAGUAY

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:34
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The costs are not always related to the error committed. Jan 7, 2004

I have taken out insurance... The IoL has a scheme in the UK, and the Danish Translatørforening has one with a very reasonable premium - ask around, because some insurance companies take a lot more than others for the same coverage.

The cost of compensation may be wildly out of proportion with the error it arises from, and we're all human!

I've heard of a case where legal regulations were wrongly translated - just one small word was omitted. But a chicken farmer was qu
... See more
I have taken out insurance... The IoL has a scheme in the UK, and the Danish Translatørforening has one with a very reasonable premium - ask around, because some insurance companies take a lot more than others for the same coverage.

The cost of compensation may be wildly out of proportion with the error it arises from, and we're all human!

I've heard of a case where legal regulations were wrongly translated - just one small word was omitted. But a chicken farmer was quarantined and not allowed to trade because of disease on a neighbouring farm, and his business collapsed. In fact surveillance would have met the real requirements of the law, and his business would have survived.

Here the translator, proof reader and administrators should have woken up before things got that bad, but that was one expensive mistake.

I also heard of a couple who had planned a wedding, travelled to the bride's country of origin and invited guests, paid for the reception, hotels etc. etc. It was all cancelled at the last minute because the date was missing on the certified translation of the bride's divorce certificate.

Another expensive little mistake. If I do anything like that (so far I never have ...) my insurance company pays.

They would also pay if documents were lost in the post, or if my dictionaries and computer were destroyed by fire, things like that.

It's worth considering in my opinion.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional liability insurance

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »