Mobile menu

Questions concerning networking of translators
Thread poster: cendrine marrouat
cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
Jan 6, 2004

Hello all!

I have a question that has been on my mind for quite a while.

What do you think about networking between translators? Is it useful?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
English to German
+ ...
Very much so Jan 6, 2004

Salut Cendrine,
I consider networking essential to being commercially successful in translation.

Networking with other professionals allows you to take on more interesting (and more rewarding) assignments - together you're able to add more value than many agencies that limit themselves to the role of a broker.

The challenge is in finding the right people to network with (a connection to the wrong people will harm your reputation, too...), and to organise the network accordingly. Many networks I know of work on a peer-to-peer basis, where all participants are equal team members - I run my own business in a slightly different fashion, whereby I assume all functions you could summarise under project management (provision and development of infrastructure, marketing, pricing, project assignment).

HTH - Ralf

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
First define "networking". Jan 12, 2004

Cendrine Marrouat:
What do you think about networking between translators? Is it useful?

The problem with this question is that "networking" can mean so many different things. I have, for example, looked forward to the networking in the translation association I joined, just to discover two years later that the existing executive of the association has a very different idea of what "networking" is.

So... what is "networking" to you? Does it mean simply getting to know fellow translators personally? Does it mean sharing jobs? Exchanging just absolutely essential tips, or exchanging views as well?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions concerning networking of translators

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs