Mobile menu

Getting started in Norway
Thread poster: Karelle Gilbert

Karelle Gilbert
Local time: 03:10
German to French
+ ...
Jan 12, 2004

Hello,

I'm a Franch translator living in Germany and I'm planning to move to Norway within a few months. Who can give me advice on:

- the administrative steps to register as a self-employed
- the legal and business rules: VAT (clients only abroad), tax, health insurance..
- the practical aspects: ADSL, professional liability insurance, ...

Many thanks in advance,
Karelle


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 03:10
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Some tips Jan 12, 2004

Here are some tips:

You can register an individual enterprise for free online: https://nbr.brreg.no/finer/SelectTemplate.jsp

This is an new service, and I have been told that you will have your registration done within a couple of weeks. There is no cost for this since you only need to be listed in "Enhetsregisteret".

Regarding VAT: You only add VAT on your invoices when you have Norwegian customers. All other customers are to be billed with a 0% VAT (Export). If you buy for instance a PC in Norway the VAT is refundable. But you have to earn 50 000 NOK within the last 12 months to obliged to do so.







[Edited at 2004-01-12 19:59]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
German to Polish
+ ...
Is it real or a joke? Jan 12, 2004

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

This is an new service, and I have been told that you will have your registration done within a **couple of weeks**.
[Edited at 2004-01-12 19:59]


Do they use snail mail, or?
Regards
Andrzej


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kristin Weholt
Local time: 03:10
English to Norwegian
Re: Starting up in Norway Jan 12, 2004

Dear Karelle,

I advise you to have a look at www.brreg.no for more information on how to get started in Norway. Click at the "English" button in the right corner. You will probably find all information you need there.

Good luck, and welcome to Norway!

Best wishes,
Kristin
www.ordbruket.no

Karelle Gilbert wrote:

Hello,

I'm a Franch translator living in Germany and I'm planning to move to Norway within a few months. Who can give me advice on:

- the administrative steps to register as a self-employed
- the legal and business rules: VAT (clients only abroad), tax, health insurance..
- the practical aspects: ADSL, professional liability insurance, ...

Many thanks in advance,
Karelle


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 03:10
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
No joke Jan 13, 2004

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

This is an new service, and I have been told that you will have your registration done within a **couple of weeks**.
[Edited at 2004-01-12 19:59]


Do they use snail mail, or?
Regards
Andrzej


This is not a joke. They used to use snail mail, and after sending in the application it took from 4 to 6 weeks before they replied. I do not think that two weeks is a long time to establish written proof that you own a company.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started in Norway

Advanced search


Translation news





LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs