Payment wait time
Thread poster: Scott de Lesseps
Scott de Lesseps
Scott de Lesseps  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:32
French to English
Feb 23, 2004

I'm still getting my own freelance sercvice (French-to-English) off the ground, and finally landed my first job from a translation agency (I've had other jobs from other sources). My question is what is considered a reasonable wait time to receive payment from a client? I suppose it probably varies from agency to agency, but I just wanted to get a general idea of the average waiting period. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Scott

Aquila Aurata
Aquila Aurata
Local time: 15:32
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Link Feb 24, 2004

Scott,

This topic has been discussed recently here:

http://www.proz.com/topic/18546

A good read. Cheers,

Peter

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:32
Different countries, different waiting periods? Feb 24, 2004

Peter Marko wrote:

Scott,

This topic has been discussed recently here:

http://www.proz.com/topic/18546

A good read. Cheers,

Peter

Scott, Peter,

I read the thread that Peter referred to, and was dismayed to learn about the long delays that colleagues -mostly from Europe- face to collect payment.

However, I believe the situation in the US and Canada is slightly different. Most of my US clients pay upon reception of the invoice; they generally send their cheques by mail, which takes anywhere between five to 15 days, and appears completely reasonable to me. Some of my Canadian clients have a 30 days payment delay.

I have organized my invoicing system in such a way that, if an invoice is outstanding for more than seven weeks, I start sending reminders to the client.
My past experience has taught me that the longer I wait for an invoice to be paid, the more difficult it will be to collect payment... all those stories of bills gone astray, please resubmit, we have to check with the person who requested the translation, etc, are a nightmare so, in my experience, the sooner you get behind an outstanding invoice, the better!

Aquila Aurata
Aquila Aurata
Local time: 15:32
Hungarian to English
+ ...
How I do it Feb 24, 2004

Rosa Maria,

Yes, you have to keep on top of the business aspects.

I generally aim to (1) have the submitted work accepted within 7 days, at which time I send the invoice, and (2) collect payment within 14 days subsequently. This leaves the client three weeks for payment, which is ample time. If it\'s a small agency (of which there are a lot in Hungary), they would typically have to get paid before they can pay me, so it can get tricky for them, too. With regular client
... See more
Rosa Maria,

Yes, you have to keep on top of the business aspects.

I generally aim to (1) have the submitted work accepted within 7 days, at which time I send the invoice, and (2) collect payment within 14 days subsequently. This leaves the client three weeks for payment, which is ample time. If it\'s a small agency (of which there are a lot in Hungary), they would typically have to get paid before they can pay me, so it can get tricky for them, too. With regular clients, I only send a monthly invoice, typically around the 5th of each month. If a payment is late, I call them immediately (i.e. the next business day). Most of the time I can arrange for a full or partial payment the same day.

And by the way, we have completely bypassed cheques on the road of financial evolution here, so payment is typically by bank transfer. Saves waiting for the mail!

Cheers,

Peter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment wait time

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »