Improving CV: how to list clients and projects - suggestions appreciated!
Thread poster: tr. (X)
tr. (X)
tr. (X)
Local time: 22:22
English to Italian
Mar 5, 2004

Hi all,

I'm editing my CV, trying to improve the presentation of the "Professional Experience" part, and I'm having minor doubts on how to format the list of different clients and projects in the case of jobs done for a translation agency.

Currently I have one sentence with brackets and semicolons, like this:

• X Ltd, UK - Translation Agency - 2003-2004.
EN>IT translations for CLIENT 1 (type of text and subject area); CLIENT 2 (type of text and sub
... See more
Hi all,

I'm editing my CV, trying to improve the presentation of the "Professional Experience" part, and I'm having minor doubts on how to format the list of different clients and projects in the case of jobs done for a translation agency.

Currently I have one sentence with brackets and semicolons, like this:

EN>IT translations for CLIENT 1 (type of text and subject area); CLIENT 2 (type of text and subject area); CLIENT 2 (type of text and subject area), and so on.

My idea was to change the format to make it more visually neat and ordered, so I was thinking of turning the above into a sublist, like this:

EN>IT translations for:
- CLIENT 1: type of text & subject area; number of words
- CLIENT 2: type of text & subject area; number of words

Or even (slightly different):

- EN>IT translation of [count]-word [type of text & subject area] for [CLIENT 1]
- EN>IT translation of [count]-word [type of text & subject area] for [CLIENT 2]

What do you think? Which one do you think is better?

Should I add "final clients such as" after the "EN>IT translations for" at the top in the first template? Or is that implied?

Also, I'd like to keep it all concise, but what kind of details do you think I should add? Is the word count enough, or should I also add the assignment and completion dates?
Should I expand even more and include a few details of the brief by the project manager?

Sorry if these questions sound a bit too pedantic! But, well, you just have to be a pedant in these matters, don't you?

Thanks a million in advance for any advice and opinions.

- Monica
Collapse

Thierry Lafaye (X)
Thierry Lafaye (X)
English to French
+ ...
Humble suggestions Mar 5, 2004

Hi Traweb,

I would say it depends who you had as final clients during your assignments. I would tend to slightly prefer the first option if these final customers are quite big:

Traweb wrote:
EN>IT translations for:

So you would kinda make yourself noticed for having worked for these big companies. If they are not so big/known then the second option may actually help to make your own work emphasized:

- EN>IT translation of [count]-word [type of text & subject area] for [CLIENT 1]
- EN>IT translation of [count]-word [type of text & subject area] for [CLIENT 2]

then

Traweb wrote:
Also, I'd like to keep it all concise, but what kind of details do you think I should add? Is the word count enough, or should I also add the assignment and completion dates?
Should I expand even more and include a few details of the brief by the project manager?

I think you should keep it to a minimum. Too much information (no matter how it is tempting to say it all) kills the information itself. I would advice for the name of the agency, the client names, the wordcounts and only any major significant information if you've done anything special. With the wordcount, it may be relevant to put in the tool you've used if this is something quite demanded like Trados, etc... Say xxx words with Trados, or xxx pages using Déjà Vu (sorry, I'm not yet a guru in tools so pardon if these are not considered so great after all, and I know there are others. But I guess you know what I mean in the substance )

In both cases a mention of the subject would have been good but then I wonder if you’ll not end up having a crowded CV. So see if it fits in your CV as it could be a relevant piece of information. If not, we may have to live without it I’m afraid?

Finally (and I stop bothering you after that), try to avoid writing in capitals in the body of your CV, only for acronyms like the language codes for example. I would then put the emphasis on the important points with normal capitalization rules but in bold, underline or italics (I am in admiration for the italics: it makes the text jump nicely at your eyes like a soft caress, without being the slightest aggressive My sentimental side I guess, hee hee).

Hoping my advices are not too silly (I'm not a veteran, I just use my humble and very limited common sense). Best of luck and sincere wishes in your search.

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:22
First option Mar 5, 2004

I like the first option better. I don't think you need completion dates (I'm not even sure you need the word counts, unless they're awe-inspiring). The thing to keep in mind is that you're trying to sell your services, rather than keep a log of what you're doing all day long. I would say the most important info here concerns the subject areas, topics, text types and writing styles you have experience with (as well as any "value-added" services you may have provided that go beyond straightforward... See more
I like the first option better. I don't think you need completion dates (I'm not even sure you need the word counts, unless they're awe-inspiring). The thing to keep in mind is that you're trying to sell your services, rather than keep a log of what you're doing all day long. I would say the most important info here concerns the subject areas, topics, text types and writing styles you have experience with (as well as any "value-added" services you may have provided that go beyond straightforward translation).

[Edited at 2004-03-05 20:49]
Collapse

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Mar 6, 2004

Thierry, many thanks for the suggestions, they're not silly at all, in fact, very useful to help me make up my mind on what to include and come up with a more polished format.

I'm no veteran either, so any advice even on the smallest details is greatly appreciated.

I would tend to slightly prefer the first option if these final customers are quite big:

Traweb wrote:
EN>IT translations for:

So you would kinda make yourself noticed for having worked for these big companies.

Good idea. Yes, the clients are big (one is Disney) that's why I wanted to give them more relevance using a list.

So I think you're right, the first option with client name first is probably the best.

I think you should keep it to a minimum. Too much information (no matter how it is tempting to say it all) kills the information itself.

True. That's why I was a bit undecided even on such "pedantic" matters... I didn't want to overdo it.

I would advice for the name of the agency, the client names, the wordcounts and only any major significant information if you've done anything special.

Ok, sounds right to me too!

With the wordcount, it may be relevant to put in the tool you've used if this is something quite demanded like Trados, etc... Say xxx words with Trados, or xxx pages using Déjà Vu (sorry, I'm not yet a guru in tools so pardon if these are not considered so great after all, and I know there are others. But I guess you know what I mean in the substance )

Yes, I know

I didn't have to use any such tools, as it was non-technical texts each time.

(I actually don't use Trados or Wordfast at all, even if I reckon I should get the latter to get more chances on jobs that require Trados or Trados-compatible tools - I'm on a Mac, so I can't use Trados anyway. But so far I'm dodging that purchase decision as the requirement hasn't really come up directly from agencies I've worked with...)

Finally (and I stop bothering you after that), try to avoid writing in capitals in the body of your CV, only for acronyms like the language codes for example.

Absolutely - actually, I'm not going to use capitals, I just wrote "CLIENT" in capitals in the template shown here, I'll be using bold in the actual CV. I'm using bold capitals only for the headings of each section of the CV.

And of course you're not bothering me! I'm the one asking for advice here, remember?

(I am in admiration for the italics: it makes the text jump nicely at your eyes like a soft caress, without being the slightest aggressive My sentimental side I guess, hee hee).

Heh, that's a nice way to see it, really.

Best of luck and sincere wishes in your search.

Thank you!

- Monica

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tips, Norbert! Mar 6, 2004

I don't think you need completion dates (I'm not even sure you need the word counts, unless they're awe-inspiring).

Good points. I think I'll follow your advice on the completion dates and just leave them out altogether.

As for word counts, well they're not so awe-inspiring really, eh! Except maybe for one client for which I worked for two years and translated lots, but that's not via an agency, it's a direct client. So I'm not sure what to do there, I'll probably just leave them out too. Otherwise it turns into a log, indeed!

I would say the most important info here concerns the subject areas, topics, text types and writing styles you have experience with (as well as any "value-added" services you may have provided that go beyond straightforward translation).

Good idea.

Maybe I'll make the description of the subject areas and text types a bit more precise and detailed, by taking parts of the job description in the project manager brief. I'll keep it short anyway.

Thanks a million again,

Monica

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Just another question about references Mar 6, 2004

Last question, I promise - it just occurred to me: should I include references in the CV?

They're rather short reference letters, so I could just copy them below the Professional Experience section.

Would that be OK? Or is it preferable to add them as separate documents only when requested (which is what I've done so far)? What do you suggest?

Again sorry if it sounds like I'm asking dumb qu
... See more
Last question, I promise - it just occurred to me: should I include references in the CV?

They're rather short reference letters, so I could just copy them below the Professional Experience section.

Would that be OK? Or is it preferable to add them as separate documents only when requested (which is what I've done so far)? What do you suggest?

Again sorry if it sounds like I'm asking dumb questions, I'm just not too sure what is best there, so I'd like to get opinions.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.

- Monica
Collapse

Thierry Lafaye (X)
Thierry Lafaye (X)
English to French
+ ...
Sorry, just saw the updated post now Mar 9, 2004

Sorry, the scrolling made your posting go off and forgot about checking my older ones until now. Hope this is still on time.

Traweb wrote:

- Monica

Mmmh, good question. If you think it will fit in your CV within one page or 2 and evenly spread (not to have one page and half only) with only relevant information, then go ahead. Still with only what's necessary of course

I personally didn't put them in because my CV is already 2 pages long that I had to cut I though have mentionned that I have extra information on my Web page and put them there obviously. I also provide them only when required. But if you do have room in your CV, please go ahead, it could be a little extra element that could help gain trust from whoever reads it.

Traweb wrote:

Again sorry if it sounds like I'm asking dumb questions, I'm just not too sure what is best there, so I'd like to get opinions.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.

- Monica

I have to disagree on this one for once : the only dumb questions I had were the ones I never asked and went the wrong way. Please feel free to ask again if unsure. I just hope I'll see your questions earlier

Best wishes then.
Thierry "Des gens dans la foule"

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
re: references in CV Mar 10, 2004

Hi Thierry,

thank you for replying, and no it's not too late at all, haven't yet sent out the new CV, so your tips are very welcome and timely

I have made a version with references included, to check how it looks. But my CV now is 5 pages long ... I've been told it's too long, but I've seen longer ones...
See more
Hi Thierry,

thank you for replying, and no it's not too late at all, haven't yet sent out the new CV, so your tips are very welcome and timely

I have made a version with references included, to check how it looks. But my CV now is 5 pages long ... I've been told it's too long, but I've seen longer ones Thing is, it's all formatted very tidily in lists, so it gets long, but it's not overcrowded really...

You know what Thierry, if you don't mind, and since you're so kind (...it rhymes!), I think I'll ask you to take a look, so you can get a better idea. I guess it's better than trying to describe it.

I'll send you an email... if I'm not taking advantage!

Thierry Lafaye wrote:
the only dumb questions I had were the ones I never asked and went the wrong way.

That's so true it hurts... Are you always this wise?

Monica
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improving CV: how to list clients and projects - suggestions appreciated!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »