https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/19502-a_marketing_letter_how_to_do_it.html

A marketing letter - how to do it?
Thread poster: gebisia
gebisia
gebisia
Local time: 09:35
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 18, 2004

Have you ever had to prepare any kind of marketing letter to a company you would like to offer your service of freelance translation?
How it should be done? What should I put in such a letter? How to advertise myself briefly but efficiently? What would your letter contain?
Any suggestions will be very helpful to me.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Make sure it doesn't look like a marketing letter Mar 18, 2004

Personalise your letter. Dear Sirs letters aren't read by most sirs and women hate them.

Find out as much as you can about the firm and the person you are addressing. An opening with "Now that your business is expanding in the European Union.../Now that you have opened offices in Dublin..." stands more of a chance to get read fully.

"Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle." Formulate your strong points in terms of practical, direct advantages for the addressee.
... See more
Personalise your letter. Dear Sirs letters aren't read by most sirs and women hate them.

Find out as much as you can about the firm and the person you are addressing. An opening with "Now that your business is expanding in the European Union.../Now that you have opened offices in Dublin..." stands more of a chance to get read fully.

"Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle." Formulate your strong points in terms of practical, direct advantages for the addressee.

Now the hard part. Put on business clothes and comb your hair. I swear it makes you sound more professional and alert. Try to get the addressee on the phone within 3 to 6 days after receipt of your letter. Half of the time they haven't read your letter or have forgotten about it. Be prepared to sell yourself during that short phone call. Always offer to do a test translation. Do not offer to send the letter again. Do not offer to send any information you do not have.

Good luck,
Gerard
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Put yourself in their place Mar 18, 2004

Start from the point of view of the company. Imagine that you are the recipient of the letter, and think about what the most important things are that you would like to know about an unknown translater who is offering her services. What factors would impress you and win your confidence?

Here are some tips on writing cover letters, which "cover" a similar ground to marketing letters. Just keep in mind that you will ha
... See more
Start from the point of view of the company. Imagine that you are the recipient of the letter, and think about what the most important things are that you would like to know about an unknown translater who is offering her services. What factors would impress you and win your confidence?

Here are some tips on writing cover letters, which "cover" a similar ground to marketing letters. Just keep in mind that you will have to adapt some of the advice given here, because you are not applying for a job, but rather offering your services as an outsourcer.

If you have seen a company that has poor translations and you want to offer your services to improve them, this page has some advice worth taking into consideration.

[Edited at 2004-03-18 14:30]
Collapse

gebisia
gebisia
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And what about your experience? Mar 18, 2004

And your experience in writing such letters? Have you had any positive feedback from the companies?
Thenk you very much for your advice,Gerard and GoodWords - very helpful,indeed.

Eva T
Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
Good advice Mar 19, 2004

Thank you Gerard. you helped me today.

eva

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Do not offer to send the letter again. Do not offer to send any information you do not have.

Good luck,
Gerard

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Very good advice Gerard and Goodwords Mar 19, 2004

I've written quite a few cover letters, but I was never too sure about how I was supposed to address them. I agree that Dear Sirs is not the best way. Sometimes I used "Dear Project Manager". What do you think? What do YOU use? Thank you.

Dan

gebisia
gebisia
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) The nicest beginning of the letter... Mar 20, 2004

...would be "Dear possible future employer and provider".

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
By name Mar 22, 2004

Dan Marasescu wrote:
I've written quite a few cover letters, but I was never too sure about how I was supposed to address them. I agree that Dear Sirs is not the best way. Sometimes I used "Dear Project Manager". What do you think? What do YOU use? Thank you.

The usual advice that is given is to address the person by name. It's a question of putting your research skills to work in order to find out who the person is. A preliminary phone call, letter or e-mail may be needed to ask whom to address the letter to.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A marketing letter - how to do it?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »