Thread poster: Maria Lorenzo

Maria Lorenzo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 18, 2004

Hello everybody,

I want to start working translating websites. Does anybody know the best way to do this?
What are the steps?
Does anybody know of a website or something similar where I could get information?

Thanks and regards,
Maria

Direct link Reply with quote

Nedzad Selmanovic
English to Bosnian
+ ...
get some knowledge about web page construction Mar 18, 2004

The first thing you have to learn is how to build a web page, or complete site. Once you get familiar with that, try to translate a web site. However youm ay ask outsourcers to extract text for translation from the code, but I am not sure if they will accept your request.

Maria Lorenzo wrote:

Hello everybody,

I want to start working translating websites. Does anybody know the best way to do this?
What are the steps?
Does anybody know of a website or something similar where I could get information?

Thanks and regards,
Maria

Lorena Grancelli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:52
English to Spanish
website translation Mar 18, 2004

Hi!

I have translated many web sites.
Some people prefer to extract the text and send it as a word document. I translate it and then they do the coding. Drawback: many times those in charge of the html coding do not speak the language, and the web site ends with many mistakes, which I have to correct later.
Other times people prefer to work directly with the HTML, reason for which I use Dreamweaver, CuteHTML and Frontpage. They are very easy to use. Just get a handbook on the Internet. You have to be very careful not to touch codes. Otherwise, that can be a complete mess!!
As regards graphics, I generally translate the text and the client works with the special programs. However, I have Flash and Corel Draw, but my husband is the one who makes that kind of job for me!
I hope I have been of help!

Luna

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 23:52
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use FrontPage Mar 18, 2004

Hi,

I would suggest for you to learn MS FrontPage as it is an easy to use tool and can help you become acquainted with the HTML format and the files that get created.

Usually you can open HTML files in Word and the words to be translated will appear in a different color, while non-translatable text like tags will show up in light-grey.

Maybe there is an HTML workshop in your local community college or continuing education center or a you can find a tutorial that will help.

Good luck

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 23:52
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
The tool you need is the one you have: Wordfast Mar 18, 2004

No need for using HTML editors(Frontpage, GoLive, Dreamweaver, ect, etc)

Simply you should receive the HTML file(s)from your customer, tagging it with Plustools (or with RWS, which is more convenient), doing the translation on the tagged text, (the untranslatable text will be in gray color font)and then WF will generate the HTML to be delivered for you.

I last year I did a 502 HTML pages work for a customer in the UK with no major effort, as simply as every thing related to WodrdFast is!

Just download the last version of the WF manual from www.wordfast.net. If any problem , please contact me directly.

Saludos

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Get a CAT tool Mar 18, 2004

If you want to offer translating websites, be prepared that many agencies or clients will expect you to be able to work with the source files. (See the following topic: http://www.proz.com/topic/18910) So, you should get a basic understanding of HTML. You don't have to be able to create websites, but you should understand the principles. There are many online tutorials available. Some examples were given here in the forums recently, search for "website translation".

You should also get a CAT tool capable of working with HTML files (for example Trados). You will be able to open the source file and translate it, but you won't have to deal with the tags, because the tool will "filter them out".

Unlike the others, I don't recommend using an HTML editor, such as FrontPage, or even opening HTML files directly in Word. You would lose all benefits of a CAT tool and you would be asking for troubles with the HTML code.

Translating a website might also involve translating graphics. It has been discussed in the forums as well; you can either provide the translated bitmaps (if you can work with a graphic editor), or just the translation in a separate text file and let the client create the bitmaps.

[Edited at 2004-03-18 22:54]

Thierry thierry_lafaye
Spain
English to French
+ ...
Frontpage, well, not so much Mar 18, 2004

Hi all,

As per your comment, Patricia:

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc. wrote:

Hi,

I would suggest for you to learn MS FrontPage as it is an easy to use tool and can help you become acquainted with the HTML format and the files that get created.

Usually you can open HTML files in Word and the words to be translated will appear in a different color, while non-translatable text like tags will show up in light-grey.

Maybe there is an HTML workshop in your local community college or continuing education center or a you can find a tutorial that will help.

Good luck

I would agree a bit... and disagree very strongly too. I use Frontpage to create my website to make it "quick and dirty" setup. And this is just that. Frontpage is great to create pages to quickly set up a webpage or fairly simply web site from scratch but "quick and dirty" is, I think, an appropriate expression: it will display fine on Internet Explorer but on Navigator or other OS browsers, that's another story...

Also translating with it and you are sure it will actually modify the code itself to "Frontpaged" the documents and will surely break functionnality at the end. I would therefore use it only for simple pages where Frontpage was originally used almost exclusively.

As far as I know, the agencies would extract the localisable content and paste it in a word processing document or even in a text file, and when translated, will process the translations to incorporate them back into the original code to get their websites localised. Therefore, all you would need in a majority of cases would be some tool that support either simple HTML (well, the usual ones like Wordfast, trados, etc...) or even word format, etc... and may never have to deal with pure html, javascript, asp, php and other programming languages. But as Nedzad suggested, would this eventuality arise, then knowing how to create fairly simple pages with html (and simply scripting probably, but that's really starting to be off-limit) is a plus.

Hope to help a bit.

Thierry

Vladimir Stepanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Get CatsCradle! Mar 19, 2004

CatsCradle 2.8 is your answer. It extracts texts and lets you translate HTML documents side by side. You don't have to worry about tags, in fact, you won't even see them. The layout is very simple (but functional) and easy to use.

You also can edit/translate scripts (such as dropdown menus, etc.) in this program, but you need to know more about developing webpages then, of course. It would be a great start, I think. It also stores your TMs as you work.

And it's free!! I don't have the site to download it from handy, but you can shoot for it in Google or in ProZ forums to know more and get a downloadable link.

Maria Lorenzo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much everybody!! :) Mar 19, 2004

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everybody for replying and giving me so many great ideas.

I really appreciate it and I will take everything in consideration.

All the best,
Maria

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
CatsCradle URL Mar 19, 2004

Vladimir Stepanov wrote:
CatsCradle 2.8 is your answer. ... I don't have the site to download it from handy.

URL = http://www.stormdance.freeserve.co.uk/.

I've heard that CatsCradle is not suited for professional translation because you can't change the order of the tagged text.

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
You could use Webbudget Feb 4, 2005

This is the CAT tool I just learned to use at my university, it's very simple and comprehensive at the same time, you don't need to be any genius to use it and I think it's really useful

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 07:52
English to Russian
An *excellent* resource Feb 7, 2005

You might find this
http://www.w3schools.com/
very useful.
In my years of design ad translation I have not come across anything better.
Best of luck
Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation - How to?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs