Lack of info in job offer
Thread poster: Philip Birzulis
Philip Birzulis
Philip Birzulis  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
English to Latvian
+ ...
May 23, 2004

I've been a translator from Latvian to English for about four years, but have just started using Proz. While it seems like a wonderful tool to get work, I'm a comlete newcomer and am not sure about how to respond to job offers (my previous experience has been entirely with agencies in my home city where I have face to face contact and can therefore just ASK.) On Friday I got this offer, which puzzled me a bit:

I'm contacting as we have a 29.000 words job in the home
appliance
... See more
I've been a translator from Latvian to English for about four years, but have just started using Proz. While it seems like a wonderful tool to get work, I'm a comlete newcomer and am not sure about how to respond to job offers (my previous experience has been entirely with agencies in my home city where I have face to face contact and can therefore just ASK.) On Friday I got this offer, which puzzled me a bit:

I'm contacting as we have a 29.000 words job in the home
appliance manual filed
to be done by the May 28th, are you interested?

The use of TagEditor is compulsory.

Specs are below:

Repetitions 19757
100% - 7402
95-99% - 2072
85-94% - 2983
75-84% - 2417
50-74% - 1015
No match - 29029

Repetitions > 10% rate
100% > 10% rate
95% - 99% > 60% rate
85% - 94% > 60% rate
75% - 84% > 60% rate
50% - 74% > 100% rate

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
- why didn't the agency indicate what the rate for 100% is (and didn't answer an email question about it)?
- if they just say "rate", is there an assumption that they accept my minimum or target rate?
- it seemed a bit short on details, ie not even specifying what direction of my language pair they need (I'm much stronger on Latvian to English). Is this usual?
- are most job offers this concise, and if so what are the assumptions a beginner like me needs to make?
- how quickly do agencies offering jobs expect a response? (I got on to them about three hours later with a confirmation of the job subject to their answering a few questions, but they never got back to me.)
Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but as I said I'm a complete beginer here and would really appreciate any advice.
Collapse

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:48
Welcome May 23, 2004

Philip Birzulis wrote:
MY QUESTIONS ARE:
- why didn't the agency indicate what the rate for 100% is

As a general rule, you, the independent contractor, need to state your price. That said, considering that they're dictating how much discount they expect on this and that, they may simply have forgotten to mention the rate they're willing to pay.

(and didn't answer an email question about it)?

Who knows.

- if they just say "rate", is there an assumption that they accept my minimum or target rate?

Not necessarily.

- it seemed a bit short on details, ie not even specifying what direction of my language pair they need (I'm much stronger on Latvian to English). Is this usual?

Not usual, but not surprising either. Welcome to the fascinating world of ProZ Jobs!

- are most job offers this concise,

Some job offers are this "concise"; some even more so; others provide more detailed information. If you're not given enough details, it's up to you to either ask for them or ignore the request.

and if so what are the assumptions a beginner like me needs to make?

The assumption a beginner needs to make is that a potential client is either clueless, or careless, or fraudulent, or all of the above — if there are no indicators to the contrary. In most cases, I would strongly advise that you ask to see the source document (or, at the very least, a representative excerpt) before you decide that you are both willing and able to do the translation, and before you commit to a rate.

- how quickly do agencies offering jobs expect a response? (I got on to them about three hours later with a confirmation of the job subject to their answering a few questions, but they never got back to me.)

The sooner the better. I don't think that 3 hours is too long to respond to an email; however, things move fast in this business, and they may indeed already have given the job to someone else (and may not have wanted to waste any time on further communications with you). If you're in a position where you're trying to build business, I would encourage you to respond to job requests as fast as you can. If you're not given enough information to commit to anything, express your interest and respond with questions rather than a quote.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2004-05-23 16:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lack of info in job offer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »