Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 11:31
English to German
+ ...
Jun 6, 2004

Hello all!
It happened to me a few times, that the outsourcer organizes some 10 days if not 30 days payment after receipt of the project. Now sometimes, he comes back with a request, as something needs to be changed here and there. Generally he comes back most immediately (in my experience with in 48-72 hours, if not within 10 days of the total invoice clearence period). Now I have an outsourcer who gets back 25 days after releasing the work, and the file is not the same as I had processed
... See more
Hello all!
It happened to me a few times, that the outsourcer organizes some 10 days if not 30 days payment after receipt of the project. Now sometimes, he comes back with a request, as something needs to be changed here and there. Generally he comes back most immediately (in my experience with in 48-72 hours, if not within 10 days of the total invoice clearence period). Now I have an outsourcer who gets back 25 days after releasing the work, and the file is not the same as I had processed, weight changes, parts also change, accordingly the originally agreed Agreement also changes. I see those changes were not my work, but the the request persists and the communication style changes, take an abusive note and everything sounds like a command. Upon which I had to more or less try to educate the outsourcer into a better communication style. So I told myself, in translation area, styles vary, just like the expectations and the moods of the client. So I had developed a time limit for all such claims, and I do not know how many otherwise do this. I request all resonance in this regard.
I find Proz-great, and I find that the higher the communication level, the better the site would be.
Brandis
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
ATA contract Jun 6, 2004

Hi Brandis,

Here are some applicable paragraphs from the ATA's standard contract. You may change "30 days" on item 6 to suit your own payment schedule:

Whole file here http://www.atanet.org/model_contract.htm

4. Additional fees. Additional fees will be payable, to be calculated as provided below, in the event the following additional services are required: (
... See more
Hi Brandis,

Here are some applicable paragraphs from the ATA's standard contract. You may change "30 days" on item 6 to suit your own payment schedule:

4. Additional fees. Additional fees will be payable, to be calculated as provided below, in the event the following additional services are required: (a) investigation, inquiry, or research beyond that normal to a routine translation is required because of ambiguities in the item(s) to be translated; (b) additional services are required because Client makes changes in the item(s) to be translated after the signing of this Agreement; and (c) Translator is requested to make changes in the translation after delivery of the translation, because of Client's preferences as to style or vocabulary, and such changes are not required for accuracy. Such additional fees will be calculated as follows:

6. Client's review of translation. Upon receipt of the translation from Translator, Client shall promptly review it, and within 30 days after receipt shall notify Translator of any requested corrections or changes. Translator shall correct, at no cost to Client, any errors made by Translator.

10. Changes by others. Translator shall have no responsibility whatever as to any changes in the translation made by persons other than Translator.

As far as clients that take on an abusive tone, I would seriously consider whether you wish to continue an association with them. In my opinion, courteous and professional communication is as important as decent and prompt payment. Misunderstandings happen, but they never justify unpleasantness on either part.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2004-06-06 20:53]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 11:31
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thank you a 1000 times Jun 6, 2004

Susana Galilea wrote:

Hi Brandis,

4. Additional fees. Additional fees will be payable, to be calculated as provided below, in the event the following additional services are required: (a) investigation, inquiry, or research beyond that normal to a routine translation is required because of ambiguities in the item(s) to be translated; (b) additional services are required because Client makes changes in the item(s) to be translated after the signing of this Agreement; and (c) Translator is requested to make changes in the translation after delivery of the translation, because of Client's preferences as to style or vocabulary, and such changes are not required for accuracy. Such additional fees will be calculated as follows:

6. Client's review of translation. Upon receipt of the translation from Translator, Client shall promptly review it, and within 30 days after receipt shall notify Translator of any requested corrections or changes. Translator shall correct, at no cost to Client, any errors made by Translator.

10. Changes by others. Translator shall have no responsibility whatever as to any changes in the translation made by persons other than Translator.

As far as clients that take on an abusive tone, I would seriously consider whether you wish to continue an association with them. In my opinion, courteous and professional communication is as important as decent and prompt payment. Misunderstandings happen, but they never justify unpleasantness on either part.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2004-06-06 20:53]
Hello Galilea, it was precisely like this especially pertaning to the point 6 of your statement. I had complied with the client´s request and revise atleast 2 times at no further cost at all. The point is the last version devlired with claims by the client ( outsourcer) was not done by me, but the outsourcer is seeking a discount to a tune of 35% of the total value.The link you have given was most helpful. I know that contract model.

Thank you
brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tolerance time range for claims

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »