What do you keep a record of?
Thread poster: BethanHasnip
BethanHasnip
BethanHasnip  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
German to English
Mar 4, 2012

I currently keep 3 spreadsheets of data related to my translating and was wondering what and how everyone else keeps track.

I record:

projects: date assigned, client, document name, description, word count, time taken, invoiced amount, invoice sent date, payment received
clients: name, since when, how I started working for them, words to date
expenses: item, date, receipt location, amount

I am asking because I on
... See more
I currently keep 3 spreadsheets of data related to my translating and was wondering what and how everyone else keeps track.

I record:

projects: date assigned, client, document name, description, word count, time taken, invoiced amount, invoice sent date, payment received
clients: name, since when, how I started working for them, words to date
expenses: item, date, receipt location, amount

I am asking because I only started recording clients last week after chatting to another translator and it immediately seemed like such a sensible idea, it helps or will help me see what form of marketing (direct cold call, direct response, website, blog etc.) is most effective.
Also, I am not sure how the expenses thing works but I though it best to keep a track just in case. If anyone UK based could give me a few hints on this it would be much appreciated!

This is a blog article I wrote on this recently:
Keeping Records
Collapse

paolasileno
paolasileno
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you for this info Mar 6, 2012

Hello there,

I've only recently got my first translation assignment and so far I hadn't even been thinking about recording information and how...so, thank yoy very much for posting this, I've found it most useful.

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
Romanian to English
+ ...
Mandatory records + whatever fits your marketing purposes Mar 6, 2012

Businesses/freelancers must keep certain records according to the law: basically, the supporting documents for your invoices: contracts, purchase orders, materials translated.
I keep the legal and financial stuff in a separate folder, and the translated materials in separate folders by clients, years, months, jobs with basic info (document type, quantity, language pair) in the folder name.
I have a spreadsheet I use for invoicing: that's where I keep the client records (it's easier t
... See more
Businesses/freelancers must keep certain records according to the law: basically, the supporting documents for your invoices: contracts, purchase orders, materials translated.
I keep the legal and financial stuff in a separate folder, and the translated materials in separate folders by clients, years, months, jobs with basic info (document type, quantity, language pair) in the folder name.
I have a spreadsheet I use for invoicing: that's where I keep the client records (it's easier to fill out the invoices from a drop-down menu than to type the data all over again in each invoice) and a master sheet with data of invoices issued (date, client, amount, equivalent in local currency) which is of great help when I need to prepare my tax returns and statements. This master file also shows the payments received, so I can see if any invoices are still outstanding or any work is still uninvoiced. Major clients have dedicated sheets with dates, document titles, word count, unit price, total price.
It may sound a bit control-freakish, but this way I always have perfect control and transparency in my books

@Paola, I recommend you check whether there are any legal obligations you have in terms of the records you *must* keep.

Edited for a typo.

[Edited at 2012-03-07 09:05 GMT]
Collapse

BethanHasnip
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 6, 2012

Annamaria - thank you so much for your reply! that all sounds a bit complicated but I'll def try take it in. I hadn't thought to look into legal obligations, although the records I keep is partially with tax purposes in mind. I am wondering how I will cope and keep everything organised when I have more work and more clients. Must spend some time in the next week devising a better system.
Paola - glad you found it useful, all the best!

Leslie D
Leslie D  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
HMRC website useful for UK based freelancers Mar 15, 2012

Hi there,

I am based in the UK like you and I found the HMRC website of use when I first set up. It tells you about your legal obligations when it comes to record keeping. Here is a link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/rec-keep-self-emp.htm

And, yes, keeping track of your client contacts is a sensible idea, I enjoyed reading what everyone else does. Thanks for posting!

BethanHasnip
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 15, 2012

That link is perfect, now I have no excuse! thanks for the help.

Maria Dimitrova
Maria Dimitrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:56
Member (2011)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
records I keep Mar 15, 2012

In addition to the records required by law /that is, POs, invoices, etc./ I keep 3 spreadsheets with different information: 1 of them has my customers, word/page counts, amounts due, the other one is with information about the invoices paid and the third one has the customer, word/page count, rate per word/page, total amount due, how much time it took me to translate the project and the language pair and subject matter of the translation. I need the last one because in my country you usually get... See more
In addition to the records required by law /that is, POs, invoices, etc./ I keep 3 spreadsheets with different information: 1 of them has my customers, word/page counts, amounts due, the other one is with information about the invoices paid and the third one has the customer, word/page count, rate per word/page, total amount due, how much time it took me to translate the project and the language pair and subject matter of the translation. I need the last one because in my country you usually get paid by standard page /1800 characters with spaces, or about 250 words/ and I need to know what rate per word I get from my regular customers in order to quote for a non-Bulgarian customer. The time spent is also important for me, because it helps me determine my per hour rate and perhaps, consider changing my pricing policy for translations that are low-volume, but take huge amount of time.

This is a lot of record keeping and it takes a lot of time and I definitely need to optimize it, so I am thinking of putting all the information in just one spreadsheet and copy-paste the relevant part of it to my invoices, but since I've been too busy lately, I haven't had the time to think about it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you keep a record of?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »