Mobile menu

help with profile/CV
Thread poster: David Jessop

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2004

I am a newer translator and I was wondering if you wouldn´t mind taking a look at my profile and CV and offering me feedback. I would greatly appreciate it.

Saludos de Bolivia.

Direct link Reply with quote

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:03
English to Turkish
Hello David, Jul 12, 2004

A couple of points reflecting my subjective experience of a profile while I was faking an outsourcer who had to pick a translator in a language combination as crowded as Spanish>English, and not with too much time to examine every detail: if one or two full-block paragraphs are entered, I tend to first scroll down to take a quick peek at more noticeable data; like italic or bold sections, and numbers. (Maybe later, I will look at other info, but in the meanwhile, if something catches my attention down there, I may even forget to scroll up back.) Do you really have to state in italic face that you "graduated in January 2004"? I read it before everything else - before "BA in religion" and worse, before "6 years of experience" (which is in no way brief), for instance

Another silly point (I mean, another subjective point of mine that may sound silly to everyone else). Underlined characters don't impress me much... maybe because they resemble links, but are unclickable (hence frustrating), or they look a bit outdated. This is very subjective, though, I admit.

Also, you may consider avoiding repeat information in the Specialization and Past Experience (I hope I get the English titles right) sections, and also avoiding to put too much emphasis on the affordableness of your services - how about removing "cheap" from among your keywords, for example?). Ah, and I do need (as a fake outsourcer, that is) to read some experience-specific data in your profile. One more thing, and I apologize in advance if it sounds as commenting on the English in your profile - which actually it does not: according to résumé monsters, it may not be a very good idea to begin every sentence with "I am", "I have", "I do", etc. Just an idea

Sorry, so far I might have stressed the not-absolutely-impressive part in my fake experience. Now, the better side: the idea of emphasizing that you are a native of your target language AND you live where your source language is spoken is absolutely a good one. So is the fact that you have chosen to narrow down your specialties into a more or less interrelated pack (with the exception of tech/engineering). Also you have chosen a good picture, in my personal opinion, which reflects a reliable, confident and enthusiastic person.

Hope you find my comments helpful, or at least enjoy reading them

Good luck and best wishes...

Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:03
French to English
+ ...
Hi David Jul 12, 2004

One thing I would point out - having worked in recruitment in many of my previous jobs, and also having had to market myself alomst incessantly throughout my translation career - is that your CV seems a bit 'crowded'. I don't mean in content, more in terms of layout. Most standard CVs tend to be about 2 pages, so make the most of it! Spread it out, give it a bit of shape, maybe with a few bullet points, and have it standardised throughout. If the reader sees a well-presented, attractive CV, that counts for a lot. Feel free to take a look at my CV - it's on my profile. I'm not saying that it is the definitive version, nor that it is perfect, but I feel that it is pretty well laid-out, and is quite attractive to potential employers. It's worked well for me!

Good luck!!

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 12:03
English to Russian
Advice needed Sep 4, 2004

Hi all. Same issue. Being a good (and a modest!) translator I am just beginning to learn freelancer's life and would like to ask a specific question. I set up my profile and a personal web page. The counter at the profile keeps ticking, and my page server stats shows that around 400 people downloaded my CV and about 50 added my page to favourites. Now while my profile was messy and there was no web page I had a couple of jobs through Proz. Presently I am not contacted anymore by anyone.
***I have not actively sent out any emails yet.***
The question is: Am I not contacted because: a) I am passively waiting for the jobs to arrive at my doorstep, or, b) there's something extremely stupid in my profile and CV which I do not see as a baby freelancer?
Any feedback will be very much appreciated.

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 12:03
English to Russian
Wow! I am not a dummy!!! :) Sep 5, 2004

Hi Tayfun,
Your page is very nice and attractive. But making a client portfolio takes time.

Thanks a lot for poiting to the right direction. Well, will work and look around.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help with profile/CV

Advanced search

Translation news

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs