Thread poster: David Jessop
David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2004

Compañeros,

I am working on a transcription job, typing up a handwritten document in Spanish. However, when the client posted the job, it did not say anything about the text being barely legible. I am having a very difficult time reading the text as are several other people I asked to take a look at it. I am straining to read it and this is taking a long time. The rate I quoted was quite inexpensive because I thought I would just be typing up a normal, legible, handwritten document
... See more
Compañeros,

I am working on a transcription job, typing up a handwritten document in Spanish. However, when the client posted the job, it did not say anything about the text being barely legible. I am having a very difficult time reading the text as are several other people I asked to take a look at it. I am straining to read it and this is taking a long time. The rate I quoted was quite inexpensive because I thought I would just be typing up a normal, legible, handwritten document. Would I be in the right to ask for more money? And if so, do you think it would be likely that I would lose the job? Thanks.

David
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wouldn't Jul 17, 2004

David Jessop wrote:

Compañeros,

I am working on a transcription job, typing up a handwritten document in Spanish. However, when the client posted the job, it did not say anything about the text being barely legible. I am having a very difficult time reading the text as are several other people I asked to take a look at it. I am straining to read it and this is taking a long time. The rate I quoted was quite inexpensive because I thought I would just be typing up a normal, legible, handwritten document. Would I be in the right to ask for more money? And if so, do you think it would be likely that I would lose the job? Thanks.

David

My own feeling is no. Once you have agreed the terms you have made a contract and, although you may ask, they have every right to refuse, and still require you legally to comply.

Our work varies in terms of complexity so much that it is normal practice to ask to see the text first. If it's not digital (e.g. it's on paper, or PDF, or a fax), then you should take extra care.

You could discuss the problem with them, they may for example, agree to extend the deadline.

Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Local time: 08:38
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I'd say no. Jul 17, 2004

I normally charge a bit more for handwritten material, especially if they are hard to read. I once got some medical handwritten notes that drove me up the wall.
I agree with Ailish. You already accepted the job, and in my opinion it wouldn't look very professional to change your rate now. And it could be that one of the reasons they decided to go with you is because you didn't charge much, as you mentioned.
It happened to me once. And I just sucked it up.

Sorman
... See more
I normally charge a bit more for handwritten material, especially if they are hard to read. I once got some medical handwritten notes that drove me up the wall.
I agree with Ailish. You already accepted the job, and in my opinion it wouldn't look very professional to change your rate now. And it could be that one of the reasons they decided to go with you is because you didn't charge much, as you mentioned.
It happened to me once. And I just sucked it up.

Sormane
Collapse

David Jessop
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 17, 2004

Thank you Ailish and Sormane for your quick replies. I appreciate your clarification and suggestions. Saludos!

David

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Pig in a Poke Jul 17, 2004

Just as you don't want to buy one, you don't want to take one on as a job either. As others have advised, I guess you just have to eat this one and chalk it up as a learning experience. Next time don't quote on anything until you see it.

This advice is doubled for anything having to do with transcribing and translating audio recordings. A lot of people have questions on that also. Don't ever quote in the dark.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Adapt your rate earlier Jul 18, 2004

There is always a risk that a job turns out to be significantly more difficult or time consuming than expected.

This should be taken into account when determining the general rate.

As soon as you will see the text and have time to check it, you may agree a lower rate for a really simple text or ask for a higher rate for any difficulties not mentioned in the inquiry.

That's a lesson which most translators have experienced....
See more
There is always a risk that a job turns out to be significantly more difficult or time consuming than expected.

This should be taken into account when determining the general rate.

As soon as you will see the text and have time to check it, you may agree a lower rate for a really simple text or ask for a higher rate for any difficulties not mentioned in the inquiry.

That's a lesson which most translators have experienced.
Collapse

David Jessop
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you and further questions! Jul 18, 2004

Thank you to Tayfun, Henry, and Harry for the additional informative comments.

The client has offered to extend the job to include many more files and more importantly, translation of the document and not just transcription. I am pleased with his acceptance of my bid for translation, it is a fair price.

However, would I be in the right to bring to his attention that the transcription is taking significantly longer than I had expected before accepting the job and say t
... See more
Thank you to Tayfun, Henry, and Harry for the additional informative comments.

The client has offered to extend the job to include many more files and more importantly, translation of the document and not just transcription. I am pleased with his acceptance of my bid for translation, it is a fair price.

However, would I be in the right to bring to his attention that the transcription is taking significantly longer than I had expected before accepting the job and say that up to the original job length we keep the same rate and thereafter propose a new one? This seems more professional to me as I am meeting the original terms for the original job. How does this sound to you? Do you imagine this would go over alright?

Thanks again for everyone´s help!!

David
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
New job new estimate Jul 18, 2004

David Jessop wrote:
However, would I be in the right to bring to his attention that the transcription is taking significantly longer than I had expected before accepting the job and say that up to the original job length we keep the same rate and thereafter propose a new one? This seems more professional to me as I am meeting the original terms for the original job. How does this sound to you? Do you imagine this would go over alright?

This is exactly the time to tell your client what you have learned from the first job. In case he won't agree a surcharge for that nearly illegible text, you may offer to do the translation but let someone else do the transcription.

Depending on the translation rates compared to the transcription rates in your country this might be cheaper for both of you.

Have fun!
Harry

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
David.... Jul 18, 2004

you may want to see the Spanish poZting:

http://www.proz.com/topic/23002

Something does not "click right" with this assignment.

Cheers,

JL

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sí señor... Jul 18, 2004

Henry Hinds wrote:

Just as you don't want to buy one, you don't want to take one on as a job either. As others have advised, I guess you just have to eat this one and chalk it up as a learning experience. Next time don't quote on anything until you see it.

This advice is doubled for anything having to do with transcribing and translating audio recordings. A lot of people have questions on that also. Don't ever quote in the dark.

Yes! Agree 100%.

JL

David Jessop
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Odd job Jul 18, 2004

Thanks José, you are correct, and I am investigating the matter and not doing any more work until I am paid partially upfront. Other users have alerted me as well.

Cheers.

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I ask for more money?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »