Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Contemplating a career change: have others started out like me?
Thread poster: Christopher Ensor
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:15
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I'm so flattered... Sep 14, 2012

Texte Style wrote:

The software firm folded in time for me to embrace motherhood, and I started working in a translation agency, like Christine, at the age of 35.

Like Christine, I found the agency work very useful. I proofread other, better qualified translators who also proofread me, and going over our work together led to some very interesting discussions that really pushed my learning curve upwards.
Of course not all agencies are that dedicated to achieving quality, and not all in-house translators are that interested either, but you might consider a stint in an agency as a way of getting some all-round experience and insights into how agencies operate.

I was 48!
But all the rest fits.

You have to be really lucky to get a job at a good agency translating rather than as a PM, which is very different. But if you can, then it make the best of it.

[Edited at 2012-09-14 15:07 GMT]

Leah Aharoni
Leah Aharoni
Local time: 04:15
English
+ ...
Three steps for your transaltion career Oct 29, 2012

Hi Chris,

I have been coaching beginners for a while, so here are some ideas from my upcoming ebook for people going into translation:

1. You already have a wealth of professional experience, so brand yourself as a finance translator and don't be tempted to attract a generic crowd. Clients looking for high quality expert work will have an easier time finding you and entrusting you with their high-end projects if this is the only thing you do (like going into a boutiqu
... See more
Hi Chris,

I have been coaching beginners for a while, so here are some ideas from my upcoming ebook for people going into translation:

1. You already have a wealth of professional experience, so brand yourself as a finance translator and don't be tempted to attract a generic crowd. Clients looking for high quality expert work will have an easier time finding you and entrusting you with their high-end projects if this is the only thing you do (like going into a boutique instead of a department store).

2. Don't set up a translation SERVICE business like everyone else. Create a translation SOLUTION (possibly in conjunction with your finance expertise) and you will have no competition. You will also be able to charge per solution and not per word. Think of solutions you could offer that use your existing skills (by way of an example: hand-holding for foreign investors). To find your niche, talk to as many people as you can and tell them about your intention of offering services combining languages and finance. Pretty soon, you'll stumble on something brilliant.

3. If you lack confidence in your translation ability, instead of taking a translation course, go for several writing workshops. Unfortunately, most translators use a GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out) model. Usually, our clients are not professional writers and the quality of the originals reflects that. If you can take unattractive original writing and put it into easy-to-read, polished prose, you'll be far ahead of the pack even if you decide to go with conventional translation services.

Best of luck

Leah
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contemplating a career change: have others started out like me?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »