Insurance in France
Thread poster: MandyT
MandyT
MandyT  Identity Verified
English to German
Aug 8, 2004

Hallo,

I recently went to the Ursaaf and am now officially registered as freelance translator in France. Now I get all these letters from insurance companies. Can anyone give me some advice on what is the best for freelance translators? I really have no idea what to go for.

Thanks in advance

Dydy

Lakshmi Iyer
Lakshmi Iyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:27
French to English
+ ...
Urssaf Aug 10, 2004

As far as I know you have three options as a freelance translator in France: URSSAF, AGESSA or what's called "portage salarial". You only sign up with AGESSA is if you mainly do literary translations. "Portage salarial" refers to billing companies that invoice and pay your social charges for you and keep a percentage of your earnings.

But you mentioned you've already registered with URSSAF. They (or rather an institute called the INSEE) will have sent you a SIRET number, which you
... See more
As far as I know you have three options as a freelance translator in France: URSSAF, AGESSA or what's called "portage salarial". You only sign up with AGESSA is if you mainly do literary translations. "Portage salarial" refers to billing companies that invoice and pay your social charges for you and keep a percentage of your earnings.

But you mentioned you've already registered with URSSAF. They (or rather an institute called the INSEE) will have sent you a SIRET number, which you include on your invoices to French clients. You pay social charges to three different organisations: two charges to URSSAF, medical insurance charges to the freelance professionals' health insurance centre and obligatory retirement charges to CNAPVL, which pays out freelancers' pensions. These charges are calculated as a percentage of a pre-fixed amount in your first and second year as a freelance (it's about 6,500 euros for Year 1 and 9,000 euros for Year 2). From the third year on, you pay a percentage of what you actually earned the previous year.

You'll receive lots of mail asking you to sign up for "complementary" retirement plans, which you can safely chuck in the bin.

What you should do is go down to your local URSSAF and ask them to explain the system to you - show them the letters you've received and check what you really need to pay. I understand you don't need to charge VAT if you earn less than 27,000 euros a year, and if you spend over 180 days a year in France you need to pay your taxes here.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

MandyT
MandyT  Identity Verified
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 11, 2004

Thank you very much for your help

Dydy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Insurance in France

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »