Mobile menu

Charging VAT
Thread poster: MandyT
MandyT  Identity Verified
English to German
Aug 8, 2004

As English into German freelance translator (based in France) I mostly work for UK companies and hence don’t need to charge VAT. Now I’ve been asked whether I would like to do some proofreading for a French company. Does this mean I would have to charge them VAT? If so, how does the Inland Revenue collect this money then?

Thanks for your help

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 09:32
English to French
+ ...
depends on your turnover Aug 8, 2004

Hi Dydy!
under the French law you HAVE to charge VAT if your turnover is 100,000 FF or more. You CAN but don't have to if it's less. You still have to pay income tax on your revenue, those are different taxes.
I suggest you get in touch with your local recette des impôts for more details and more recent euro figures. Bear in mind, though, that you can't deduct the VAT you pay for your business expenses if you don't charge VAT.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging VAT

Advanced search

Translation news

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs