https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/24367-language_schools_or_schools_for_translators_in_new_york_city.html

Language schools or schools for translators in New York City
Thread poster: Andrea Farina
Andrea Farina
Andrea Farina
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 2, 2004

Hello,
I am new to this site and I am very glad to be part of this group. I am an italian with a PhD in Biology and willing to make a career change from scientific researcher to (scientific) translator. Italian is my native language and I have a good knowledge of English, having studied it for many years and mainly for having spent the past seven years working in the United States.
At the moment I live in Washington DC and I am planning to move to New York City. My problem is that i
... See more
Hello,
I am new to this site and I am very glad to be part of this group. I am an italian with a PhD in Biology and willing to make a career change from scientific researcher to (scientific) translator. Italian is my native language and I have a good knowledge of English, having studied it for many years and mainly for having spent the past seven years working in the United States.
At the moment I live in Washington DC and I am planning to move to New York City. My problem is that it does not seem easy to find a job as a translator (or even as a language instructor), because of my lack of experience. My situation is a little more complicated because of visa issues: I am now on a working visa which will expire in January and in order to continue to stay in this country I need to be hired by a company which can extend my working visa (this excludes working as a freelancer, I guess). Otherwise one of the options would be to go back to school in order to obtain a degree in languages or in translations. This, not only will provide me with a student visa, but will also give me more qualification for a future job. My language pair is Italian-English but when I looked at NYU web site, they do not seem to offer any degree as an Italian-English translator. I definitely want to improve my English and obtain a degree in English as a second language. In addition I would like to learn at least one more foreign language (I am very interested in Japanese and I have already started studying it).
I would really appreciate if anybody has any suggestions on which are good schools in New York where I can get a degree in languages and/or translations. Any other advice or idea on what I should do to get established as a translator is more than welcome.
Thank you very much for your help. I apologize for being a little bit long, but I tried to give as many details as possible on my situation.

Andrea
Collapse

yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried another website? Sep 3, 2004

There is a website that I recently got on called list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=LANGIT.

I unfortunately do not speak Italian but I am on that list and I don't know how to get off so I just delete the mail when I get it. This may be something to look into or try another one called www.Ilovelanguages.com.

Try going to the Federal or State courthouses. They are always looking for
... See more
There is a website that I recently got on called list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=LANGIT.

I unfortunately do not speak Italian but I am on that list and I don't know how to get off so I just delete the mail when I get it. This may be something to look into or try another one called www.Ilovelanguages.com.

Try going to the Federal or State courthouses. They are always looking for interpreters and with the large population of Italians in New York, it may be to yoru advantage.

Another thing you could do is find a way to set up shop in some of the older neighborhoods such as little Italy or some place where your services would be needed.

Good luck. I really hope you can stay in the country.
Please feel free to send me your resume and if I find anything out in my neck of the woods, I will send them your way.
Collapse

0808 (X)
0808 (X)
German to English
Language schools in NYC Sep 9, 2004

I would definitely check out NYU - their German and French programs are fantastic, not only for current students, but also for anyone looking to further their linguist skills. Check out their main website, and follow the language links.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language schools or schools for translators in New York City

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »