Mobile menu

How Can I Translate Online without Getting Burned?
Thread poster: Mauro Baglieri

Mauro Baglieri  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:44
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 12, 2004

hi, i would like to extend my services online (English-Italian-French)but i still have a few doubts on how to:

1-get paid online (software and settings)

2-work safety ( how am i sure i will get paid after my translation is received)

3-Waiting times for payments

3-Affordable legal help for translators

Any advice or links you may want to post will be greatly appreciated.

Brownbear, Italy

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:44
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some responses Sep 13, 2004

Brownbear wrote:

1-get paid online (software and settings)

Include a line on payment terms in your invoice. If working by transference in Europe, furnish BIC and IBAN. The BIC is the SWIFT that American agencies sometimes ask for.

Note that cheques are still a preferred form of payment in the US.

2-work safety ( how am i sure i will get paid after my translation is received)

As far as is concerned, check the outsourcer's rating on the Blue Board, but do not limit yourself to that. You can also find out from other payment practices list.

3-Waiting times for payments

May vary, but may depend on the outsourcer. As Tayfun points out, there is an EU directive on payment at 30 days, but national implementation of this still varies.

3-Affordable legal help for translators

Here on, this is a common question on the language forums (local level), since this will vary depending on where you are. For example, some of our Spanish translators are also lawyers and can give initial advice for their jurisdictions.

Good luck!

Mary Murata  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:44
Japanese to English
just starting Sep 19, 2004

Dear Brownbear.
I am in the same position as you, just starting out and working mainly via email.
I noticed that the other replies are US based, I am in the UK which is also not Italy but I have a few things to say.

If I work for a company from the UK is get paid via BACS (I don't know what it stands for but they pay direct to my bank) or by cheque. If the company is abroad then I ask them to pay via paypal. Its free to get an account and seems to work.

Regarding insurance, I haven't got it yet, but the ITI (intstitute of translators and interpreters) ) offers discounted insurance to members as well as legal advice. I am applying for membership at the moment but it takes time as they need to check you out. I think it adds a bit of kudos to your CV too if you are member.

With regard to 'not getting burnt' I have learnt a few things from hard experience, like having the fee for the translation fixed before I start, rather than haggling afterwards. I am also resigned to the fact that I will no doubt make some mistakes along the way and end up doing work for 'love'. I will chalk that up to experience!! So far so good though. I have trusted the people I have dealt with and they have all paid me.
Good luck with your endeavours. Mary

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How Can I Translate Online without Getting Burned?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs