full-time translator employment in Germany?
Thread poster: RogerGerEng (X)
RogerGerEng (X)
RogerGerEng (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:59
German to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2004

Is it possible for a US citizen to get a full-time job as a translator of German into English in Germany? Any tips?

Nina Burkard
Nina Burkard
Italy
Local time: 16:59
English to German
+ ...
Useful links Sep 27, 2004

Hi!

It shouldn't be too difficult I think. I regularly check the job offers for translators in Germany and very often English mother tongue is required. Have a look at the following links: www.zeit.de (section "Jobs") and www.arbeitsamt.de (go to "Arbeits- und Ausbildungssuchende" and then "Stellenangebote suchen")
... See more
Hi!

It shouldn't be too difficult I think. I regularly check the job offers for translators in Germany and very often English mother tongue is required. Have a look at the following links: www.zeit.de (section "Jobs") and www.arbeitsamt.de (go to "Arbeits- und Ausbildungssuchende" and then "Stellenangebote suchen")
However, I have no idea what legal aspects you have to take into consideration.

Nina
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Do you have your Aufenthaltsrecht? Sep 28, 2004

RogerGerEng wrote:

Is it possible for a US citizen to get a full-time job as a translator of German into English in Germany? Any tips?

All the necessary papers in order? Then there shouldn't be anything to block your way. Depending of course on the local (un)employment situation (varies greatly) I'm sure you'll be welcomed with open arms.

How long have you been in Germany now? (see below)

curious,
sylvie

Addition: I just realized that your profile states United States as your location. I can't offer any tips about getting your Aufenthaltsrecht stateside. Where do you plan to settle?

[Edited at 2004-09-28 08:53]

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
The BDÜ Web site has job offers Sep 28, 2004

Check out www.bdue.de - they have job offers for in-house translators. If the company can prove that they absolutely have to have YOU as opposed to an EU national, then you shouldn't have a problem with a residence/work permit. And as there is a difference between UK and US English, that ought to go in your favor.

HTH

Alison

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:59
German to English
DaimlerChrysler in Stuttgart Sep 28, 2004

wer advertising for a translator in Stuttgart recently. This time they were looking for UK mother tongue - last time for US mother tongue.

abaensch
abaensch
Germany
English to German
Maybe a littel late Oct 6, 2004

but the time I saw this ad I remembered your Proz.com post. So, if you are still looking for a full-time employment, this might be of interest.

http://www.jobware.de/view/aWQ9OTY4MzN8Y2lfdHlwZT0wfG9yaWc9Sk9CUk9CT1R8ZDpzcGVjaWFscz1jZmclMkZmb2xsb3d8ZDpjZmc9am9icm9ib3Q=/index.html

RogerGerEng (X)
RogerGerEng (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:59
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, yes still looking. Will certainly check itout. Oct 6, 2004

abänsch wrote:

but the time I saw this ad I remembered your Proz.com post. So, if you are still looking for a full-time employment, this might be of interest.

http://www.jobware.de/view/aWQ9OTY4MzN8Y2lfdHlwZT0wfG9yaWc9Sk9CUk9CT1R8ZDpzcGVjaWFscz1jZmclMkZmb2xsb3d8ZDpjZmc9am9icm9ib3Q=/index.html[/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

full-time translator employment in Germany?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »