https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/25157-starting_translation_agency_busines.html

Starting translation agency busines
Thread poster: daniells
daniells
daniells
English
Sep 29, 2004

Hello,
My name is Mark and I have worked as a part-time translator for the last few years. I live in the United States and have been recently thinking about starting up an internet based translation agency. I am planning on translating in around 30 - 40 languages. The professional website will be done soon. I also have a small group of translators willing to cooperate with me. However, I am kind of concerned with agreements between my agency and a client and my agency and a translator. Is
... See more
Hello,
My name is Mark and I have worked as a part-time translator for the last few years. I live in the United States and have been recently thinking about starting up an internet based translation agency. I am planning on translating in around 30 - 40 languages. The professional website will be done soon. I also have a small group of translators willing to cooperate with me. However, I am kind of concerned with agreements between my agency and a client and my agency and a translator. Is there any way to get templates or anything like that? Also, as far as pricing goes, how much should a new agency charge its clients? What else should I pay attention to?

Any suggestions, advices and ideas highly appreciated.

[Edited at 2004-09-29 20:57]
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:31
German to English
To be honest... Sep 30, 2004

I hate to be the one to say this, but you should probably have a better understanding for these issues before trying to hang out your own shingle as an agency. Have you worked in-house with an agency before, so as to get a feel for how they work? Simply commencing middleman operations as an unsaavy amateur businessperson is a big risk, especially since you can ruin your good name as a freelancer in the process. (Long time Blueboard users will probably have seen this happen a few times. I certain... See more
I hate to be the one to say this, but you should probably have a better understanding for these issues before trying to hang out your own shingle as an agency. Have you worked in-house with an agency before, so as to get a feel for how they work? Simply commencing middleman operations as an unsaavy amateur businessperson is a big risk, especially since you can ruin your good name as a freelancer in the process. (Long time Blueboard users will probably have seen this happen a few times. I certainly have with the GER>ENG pair...)

Perhaps I misunderstood, and you do have the experience needed here, and are just looking for a few specific details. If not, I'd suggest you take an intermediary approach to start, by forming or joining into a team with other translators, so as to get better feel for the dynamics behind running a multi-translator operating, particularly for bidding and payment.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting translation agency busines

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »