Thread poster: Lindsay Sabadosa
Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:04
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2004

I have done online translations in the past, but lately I have really gotten into it. The last few translations, I received feedback from the agencies I worked for. I like this, because I, of course, want to know what people think of my work but it seems like every time I get comments from another translator (not the agency, thank goodness!)they take the experience as an excuse to say incredibly rude things, most of which doesn't even apply to the translation and/or are out-and-out false (like, the translator didn't translate the xx paragraph when it clearly is in the translation)! Please, tell me: am I just unlucky, having a bad week or do translators really use this opportunity to bash the competition. Is this standard procedure? All seasoned translators, please tell me what is going on? Thanks so much!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
human nature Oct 5, 2004

It's not translators, it's human nature.

Just try to ignore it, above all, don't take it to heart, put it straight out of your mind and refuse to even contemplate it.

Some people are like that, and they are just not worth wasting time over:-)

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 06:34
English to Assamese
+ ...
Breach of professional ethics Oct 5, 2004

LSabadosa wrote:
every time I get comments from another translator (not the agency, thank goodness!)they take the experience as an excuse to say incredibly rude things, most of which doesn't even apply to the translation and/or are out-and-out false (like, the translator didn't translate the xx paragraph when it clearly is in the translation)! Please, tell me: am I just unlucky, having a bad week or do translators really use this opportunity to bash the competition. Is this standard procedure? All seasoned translators, please tell me what is going on? Thanks so much!

Take heart. Here is another fellow translator who recently found herself at the receiving end of such worthless criticism from someone claiming to be a "Proof reader" whose very credentials are a suspect. It hurt me at first. But now I understand that it was nothing but crude exibition of rank bad manners reflecting infantile inaptitude and impotent jealousy. From someone who could not stand the competition. Do not worry needlessly about such unprofessional behaviour by people who are unsure of their own competence, instead devote yourself single mindedly to the task of sharpening your translation skills and enriching your linguistic repertoire. Good luck.

[Edited at 2004-10-06 00:48]

[Edited at 2004-10-06 01:13]

J. Leo
Local time: 02:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Exactly Alish Oct 5, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:

It's not translators, it's human nature.

Just try to ignore it, above all, don't take it to heart, put it straight out of your mind and refuse to even contemplate it.

Some people are like that, and they are just not worth wasting time over:-)

This is also part of business, albeit bad business. What that person said about your work is incongruous with what your clients say, and according to you it's inaccurate. What does this say about him or her? Such rudeness speaks for itself, doesn't it? In addition to that, the bad comment is now digitally registered. It's like someone shooting himself or herself in the foot.
One should always question the motives of someone's feedback. When criticism is accurate, learn from it. When it's bad criticism move on.
Continue to enjoy your work.

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:04
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Oct 5, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

LSabadosa wrote:

(like, the translator didn't translate the xx paragraph when it clearly is in the translation)!

could you explain a little what you mean?

[Edited at 2004-10-05 06:43]

Sure. I just meant that the person reading my translation said things like, "She didn't translate the fourth paragraph" when clearly I did (and believe me I checked and double checked). In retrospect, I should have used quotes and changed the xx to a number. Thank you! And thank you to the other person who posted!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving translation/editing reviews

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs