Include rates on CV?
Thread poster: Blurbfly (X)
Blurbfly (X)
Blurbfly (X)
Local time: 16:16
French to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2004

Is it a good idea to include current rates on a CV before a mail-out to translation agencies, or are these best negotiated afterwards? If the rate is competitive, then I imagine this might catch the agency's attention. But also I guess this could be quite limiting. Any ideas?

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 11:16
English to German
+ ...
Do not include Oct 20, 2004

Hello Mike

I would not include your rates especially if they are low.

The agency could get the wrong impression;

you are unexperienced
you desperately need a contract

I would write that your price depends on complexity and turnaround time.

Most of the time the agency will write you back with there rates and than you can agree to work for them or not.

I do not think that this will get the attention of the agenc
... See more
Hello Mike

I would not include your rates especially if they are low.

The agency could get the wrong impression;

you are unexperienced
you desperately need a contract

I would write that your price depends on complexity and turnaround time.

Most of the time the agency will write you back with there rates and than you can agree to work for them or not.

I do not think that this will get the attention of the agency but to translate into one target language be specialized and presenting yourself in a professional manner. (I need to practice this)

You also have to take into consideration that lots of translators think like you especially now with ouer globalization where people as soon as they are bilingual are translators and sell themself low, but agencies are experienced and know this too.

In one of the forums I read; that once you understand that all people are different and react different to price it will be easier for you to come up with higher rates.

Some people think in order to get top quality you have to pay more.
Others think " oh I can get a deal " those are the more picky ones in my opinion.

I know a person who charges 35 cent a word, I would not even think to undermine any of his abilities, my first thought wow he must be highly professional.

Take care
Collapse

Blurbfly (X)
Blurbfly (X)
Local time: 16:16
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 22, 2004

Thankyou both of you...I will be considering both viewpoints. One thing's for sure: I will not be writing an absurdly low rate on my CV!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Include rates on CV?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »