Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2004

Dear all,

I just moved to Germany, and I intend to work as a freelance translator. I have finished a degree in Translation and Interpreting, which is one of the main requirements to join the BDÜ.

According to your experience, how important is to join this association? I am sure there advantages are plenty, but as somebody who is getting established, the total membership fee comes as a quite a lot.

Thanks !

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:16
English to German
+ ...
Where are you located? Oct 21, 2004

Hi Estefania,
Perhaps you could indicate the Bundesland where you're located - the different parts of the BDÜ appear to differ considerably.

I terminated my membership of BDÜ Hessen at the end of 2003, because to me they were getting nowhere...

Best regards, Ralf

Patricia Gifford
Patricia Gifford  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Ralf Oct 21, 2004

Hello Estefania,

I absolutely agree with Ralf. It depends a lot on where you live. The BDÜ is organized in regional groups. Some of them are very active, and they organize monthly meetings, company tours, lectures etc. Others seem to be non-existent. This also depends on how many members they have.

My regional group, for example, meets at least once a month, we organize company tours on a regular basis (Daimler-Chrysler, Stuttgarter Börse, Stuttgarter Pressehaus, Stu
... See more
Hello Estefania,

I absolutely agree with Ralf. It depends a lot on where you live. The BDÜ is organized in regional groups. Some of them are very active, and they organize monthly meetings, company tours, lectures etc. Others seem to be non-existent. This also depends on how many members they have.

My regional group, for example, meets at least once a month, we organize company tours on a regular basis (Daimler-Chrysler, Stuttgarter Börse, Stuttgarter Pressehaus, Stuttgart airport, TV tower and many more), and I can truly say that I benefit a lot from my membership. If you live in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, you might not see that many activities, because they do not have that many members and they all live quite far apart, so it is difficult to get everybody together.

What you could do is check out the Website of your "Landesverband" (www.bdue.de, then click on Mitgliedsverbände) and then call and find out what activities they offer (if any). Your Landesverband should also be able to send you their latest "Rundbrief" and the latest edition of the MDÜ so that you can get an idea of what's going on in your area.

Good luck,
Patricia
Collapse

Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
what about bayern? Oct 21, 2004

I'm also considering to become a member of the bavarian bdue, I guess they have quite a lot of members. can you give me any suggestions?

nicole

Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Location Oct 21, 2004

Dear all,

I live in Bayern. At first sight, there are some events going on at the BDÜ - Landesverband Bayern e.V., like one every ten days.

Maybe it could be worthwile to give it a shot for one year, and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted for both good and bad !

Thanks!

Estefanía

Patricia Gifford
Patricia Gifford  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
My suggestion... Oct 21, 2004

...for the two of you would be to go to a "Stammtisch" and talk to the other members a bit, provided there is one nearby. You don't have to be a member to go to a Stammtisch, but it would be a good opportunity for you to find out (by talking to other members directly) what is going on in your area. I am sure that the people from the "Geschäftsstelle" can tell you more. Give them a call.

The LV BY has over 1000 members and as far as I know, they are quite active.

Good
... See more
...for the two of you would be to go to a "Stammtisch" and talk to the other members a bit, provided there is one nearby. You don't have to be a member to go to a Stammtisch, but it would be a good opportunity for you to find out (by talking to other members directly) what is going on in your area. I am sure that the people from the "Geschäftsstelle" can tell you more. Give them a call.

The LV BY has over 1000 members and as far as I know, they are quite active.

Good luck,
Patricia
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
Living in the sticks Apr 19, 2005

On finding out that the membership fee of BDÜ Bayern is over 200 Euros, I hesitated. I live somewhere in the woods, in the North of Bavaria, so visiting a Stammtisch in Munich or even Nürnberg will rarely be possible. There's one thing that could convince me anyway and that would be the supposedly cheaper insurance premiums for BDÜ members. I'm talking about "Betriebshaftpflicht" and "Haftpflichtversicherung auf Vermögensschaden". A customer has asked for these and here, too, I found the inv... See more
On finding out that the membership fee of BDÜ Bayern is over 200 Euros, I hesitated. I live somewhere in the woods, in the North of Bavaria, so visiting a Stammtisch in Munich or even Nürnberg will rarely be possible. There's one thing that could convince me anyway and that would be the supposedly cheaper insurance premiums for BDÜ members. I'm talking about "Betriebshaftpflicht" and "Haftpflichtversicherung auf Vermögensschaden". A customer has asked for these and here, too, I found the investment not in proper relation to the costs. If a BDÜ membership buys me cheap insurance it might turn out to be a case of killing two birds with one stone (never literally kill birds, of course: I prefer the German version with flies). Does anyone know details about this? I mean the cheaper insurance, not the birds. Much obliged.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To join the BDÜ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »