How to find an agent
Thread poster: Ben Zartman
Ben Zartman
Ben Zartman
English to Spanish
Oct 23, 2004

I am translating an old children's book into Spanish from English, and am seeking an agent who deals in translations. Is it better to find an agent in, say, Spain or Mexico to market a translation, or are there plenty of agents in the US (Where I live), that deal with this?
Any ideas are much appreciated.

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 13:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Unsolicited Manuscripts Oct 23, 2004

It's often very difficult to get unsolicited manuscripts published. Usually there are literary scouts who gather information from agents, publishers and editors on behalf of foreign clients. They only work with material that is already commissioned or being handled by an agent. They do not accept any unsolicited material. But If you don't know any agent you can always go direct and cut the middle man.

But I'd start getting a deal sorted with a publisher or agent soon, before you tra
... See more
It's often very difficult to get unsolicited manuscripts published. Usually there are literary scouts who gather information from agents, publishers and editors on behalf of foreign clients. They only work with material that is already commissioned or being handled by an agent. They do not accept any unsolicited material. But If you don't know any agent you can always go direct and cut the middle man.

But I'd start getting a deal sorted with a publisher or agent soon, before you translate the whole book. This would avoid any risk of translating and not getting it published.

Good luck with the negotiations,

Claudio
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 13:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2005 Oct 24, 2004

This is a very good book to get you started. It offers full contact details of publishers, agents in the UK. I'm sure there's something similar for the US. Anyway, US and UK publishers do a lot of work together, so this shouldn't be a problem either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0713666595/026-6592838-5864428

Atenea Acevedo (X)
Atenea Acevedo (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fully agree Oct 24, 2004

I agree with Tayfun and Claudio. In any case, I think you should try to get someone either in Spain, Mexico or Argentina, the countries where the giant publishing houses of Spanish literature are based.

Cheers,
Atenea

[Edited at 2004-10-25 03:17]

wrtransco
wrtransco
Local time: 12:36
German to English
+ ...
Copyright Oct 24, 2004

Who has the copyright -- do you know? If not, try to find out through the publisher.

Melissa Field
Melissa Field  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
German to English
+ ...
For the North American market, it is the Writer's Market 2004 (... or 05) Oct 24, 2004

According to my copy of the Writer's Market 2003, there are a few agents in the states who work both with translated material and juvenile fiction:
Writers House in NY
Shapiro-Lichtman in LA
Ken Sherman & Associates in Beverly Hills.

Maybe there is a market for your project here in the US. Good luck!

Melissa

P.S. here is their website:... See more
According to my copy of the Writer's Market 2003, there are a few agents in the states who work both with translated material and juvenile fiction:
Writers House in NY
Shapiro-Lichtman in LA
Ken Sherman & Associates in Beverly Hills.

Maybe there is a market for your project here in the US. Good luck!

Melissa

P.S. here is their website:
www.writersmarket.com

[Edited at 2004-10-24 17:02]
Collapse

Ben Zartman
Ben Zartman
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 25, 2004

Thank you all; this gives me a starting point. Since I have no translating work currently, I am not losing much by translating on speculation; the piece I am working on is fraught with obscure nautical terms which are fun to ferret out (bowsprit, staysail, clew, etc), and which are increasing my vocabulary at a fantastic rate. I have never yet dealt with an agent--I sell my writing (in English) diretly to editors--and wanted to know whether any agents specialized in translations. Back to the (... See more
Thank you all; this gives me a starting point. Since I have no translating work currently, I am not losing much by translating on speculation; the piece I am working on is fraught with obscure nautical terms which are fun to ferret out (bowsprit, staysail, clew, etc), and which are increasing my vocabulary at a fantastic rate. I have never yet dealt with an agent--I sell my writing (in English) diretly to editors--and wanted to know whether any agents specialized in translations. Back to the (sigh) query letter.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find an agent

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »