How to convert prices between per standard line and per word
Thread poster: E.LA
E.LA
E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
Oct 25, 2004

I hope somebody can help me with this question: I have a prize per norm line and some agencies ask for prize per word. I do not know which mathematical relation I can use in these cases. I do not have only one prize, that depends on the matter, so I need to calculate...
For example, 1 Euro / line (55) means which prize per word?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-10-25 18:17]

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 16:50
German to English
+ ...
Depends on language and text Oct 25, 2004

Hello,

easiest way is to calculate the text on line base and divide the result by the number of words.

Regards

Hans

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Great tool - fee wizard Oct 25, 2004

I like to use "fee wizard" - you have to input some of your own statistics (from past translations you have done) before you can use it. It's available online or as a download, and allows you to calculate in various currencies per word, per line, and a whole host more!

http://www.amtrad.it/feewizard.php

HTH

Alison

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
character/word/line/page averaging Oct 25, 2004

For my survey on translation speed, I received information in all kinds of formats (pages per day, words per week, lines per page per day, etc. I had to standardize it all into a single value for all of the answers. Similar to what you are asking.

Responses above gave some good details.

Much depends on what language you are working in, and what is considered as the number of characters per word for that language. In standard typing for American English, every 5 charac
... See more
For my survey on translation speed, I received information in all kinds of formats (pages per day, words per week, lines per page per day, etc. I had to standardize it all into a single value for all of the answers. Similar to what you are asking.

Responses above gave some good details.

Much depends on what language you are working in, and what is considered as the number of characters per word for that language. In standard typing for American English, every 5 characters is considered to be a word. Some of the more agglutinative languages might have a higher number of characters per word. I recall for German that the average word length is 8 characters.

Also, based on typesetting norms, some languages might have more characters per line than others. The number of 55 characters per line does correspond exactly to what I saw from my translation survey from Germany respondents.

When you know the normal acceptable values for your source AND target languages with regard to 1) number of characters per word, number of characters or words per line, and number of lines per page, then you have all the factors to do the calculation based on regular pages of info.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

Tresa wrote:
I hope somebody can help me with this question: I have a prize per norm line and some agencies ask for prize per word. I do not know which mathematical relation I can use in these cases. I do not have only one prize, that depends on the matter, so I need to calculate...
For example, 1 Euro / line (55) means which prize per word?
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
If you work with Trados Oct 25, 2004

And you need to give a price per word to a determinate file, you can make a analysis.
There you can see the Chars/Word percentage, with it you can "translate" your usual line price to words.
for example 55000 characters are 1000 lines = 1000 € (for example)

if the Chars/Word factor is 7,5 that means you have 7333 words.
So a word is 0,14 €

Otherwise is not possible to know how much words are inside a line, it can differs very much.
... See more
And you need to give a price per word to a determinate file, you can make a analysis.
There you can see the Chars/Word percentage, with it you can "translate" your usual line price to words.

So a word is 0,14 €

Otherwise is not possible to know how much words are inside a line, it can differs very much.

Saludos

[Edited at 2004-10-25 22:11]

[Edited at 2004-10-25 22:12]

[Edited at 2004-10-26 09:05]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
practiline toolbar Oct 26, 2004

HI! this is new, but it counts, characters, words, lines, pages aswell. The tool does automatic calculation for repeats, generates results for lines and words aswell as per individual settings. Works as a plug-in in MS-Office applications.
Brandis

[Edited at 2004-10-26 03:05]

E.LA
E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 28, 2004

Thanks to all of you. It showed me that the matter is still more complicated than I thought in the beginning.
It's not so much the matter how to count a prize of a translated text, but much more when somebody asks you the prize of your work without knowing the text - that means your general prizes.
Definitively, I do not like the word-counting-system, because from Spanish to German, it's a bad thing. Three or five Spanish words give one German word. But if you put a higher prize per
... See more
Thanks to all of you. It showed me that the matter is still more complicated than I thought in the beginning.
It's not so much the matter how to count a prize of a translated text, but much more when somebody asks you the prize of your work without knowing the text - that means your general prizes.
Definitively, I do not like the word-counting-system, because from Spanish to German, it's a bad thing. Three or five Spanish words give one German word. But if you put a higher prize per word, it looks expensive, because people has no idea of it.
Anyway, thanks for your ideas.
Collapse

Ruta Peter
Ruta Peter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
German to Lithuanian
+ ...
not correct Nov 2, 2004

Toledo wrote:

So a word is 0,14 €

Saludos

[Edited at 2004-10-25 22:11]

[Edited at 2004-10-25 22:12]

[Edited at 2004-10-26 09:05]

Hello, Toledo,

I´m sorry, but this is not quiet correct.
1. The char/word factor shown in Trados is without spaces and other signs, like .,!?....
The German methode of counting is with spaces.
Commonly is one space between two words, so you get a better result adding 7,5+1=8,5. You get only 6470 words, that´s a price of 0,155 EUR/word.
2. This result also does not include the different word length of the target and source, which depends on the languages. Trados counts source word, Germen count target lines.

Ruta

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
It is not possible to be more correct Nov 14, 2004

Ruta Peter wrote:

I´m sorry, but this is not quiet correct.
1. The char/word factor shown in Trados is without spaces and other signs, like .,!?....

2. This result also does not include the different word length of the target and source, which depends on the languages. Trados counts source word, Germen count target lines.

Ruta

This factor tell you only how big is a "standard" word in this document. It is the best approximation possible. But you are right, it should be +1.

I prefer too to count in lines my finish work.

But...that's the way it is outside old Germany

Gruß

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 09:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you so much!!! Great tool! Sep 6, 2005

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

I like to use "fee wizard" - you have to input some of your own statistics (from past translations you have done) before you can use it. It's available online or as a download, and allows you to calculate in various currencies per word, per line, and a whole host more!

http://www.amtrad.it/feewizard.php

HTH

Alison

Thank you soooooooo much for this information!!

I've been pulling my hair out since last night trying to make sense of rates other than per word rates, which is the only one I'm familiar with, and I needed to send a quote to a potential client who specifically asked for per character rates, and I had no idea how to work it out!

I even posted a topic in another thread http://www.proz.com/topic/36413, and then I just thought, let's Google "per character rates translation" and bingo! What should appear but this topic and your reference to this handy online tool! Thanks again!

Maria Teresa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert prices between per standard line and per word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »