Thread poster: Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
German to English
Oct 26, 2004

Hello everyone!
First, thanks for all the good advise everyone gives in this forum. So far I've found it extremely useful. Thank you all!

I know this has been asked previously in this forum, but I just have a hard time phrasing things in my cover letter. Does anyone know where I can find any translation-specific cover letter samples?
(I think I'm doing o.k. with "regular" full/part time employment CLs (had to write them on a regular basis here lately...) but how to phras
... See more
Hello everyone!
First, thanks for all the good advise everyone gives in this forum. So far I've found it extremely useful. Thank you all!

I know this has been asked previously in this forum, but I just have a hard time phrasing things in my cover letter. Does anyone know where I can find any translation-specific cover letter samples?
(I think I'm doing o.k. with "regular" full/part time employment CLs (had to write them on a regular basis here lately...) but how to phrase it for project/contract work? Do I mention this in the CL and how? What about rates? Do I sent in samples at the same time?
I've just finished a certification program for translation and now want to submit my resume to local agencies first, them go further out from there.
Collapse

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
some tips Oct 26, 2004

I'm sure you'll get a good sample letter from this forum, I've just got a couple tips for you. If you're looking in the US then what worked for me was to call first, get a name of a contact person to send my resume (CV auf Amerikanisch) to, then refer to the conversation in the cover letter (as per your request yesterday please find my resume enclosed), then call a few days later to "make sure they got my resume" and a brief chat during which you make a personal impression so they remember you. ... See more
I'm sure you'll get a good sample letter from this forum, I've just got a couple tips for you. If you're looking in the US then what worked for me was to call first, get a name of a contact person to send my resume (CV auf Amerikanisch) to, then refer to the conversation in the cover letter (as per your request yesterday please find my resume enclosed), then call a few days later to "make sure they got my resume" and a brief chat during which you make a personal impression so they remember you. Then I'd always call a couple weeks later to "reanimate my network of potential clients". Good luck.Collapse

Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks David, Oct 26, 2004

for your help. Yes, I'm in the US and will start looking for work here, first.
Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to write a cover letter.....

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »