Osiris Jasso
Osiris Jasso
Mexico
Local time: 01:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2014

Hi,

On December 2nd I finished a transcription job for an outsourcer. They got my address from the Proz.com directory and contacted me via e-mail.

At the time of starting the project, we did not discuss the payment terms, so a few days after completion of the project I asked my PM about the date I could get paid. He replied that according to the company policy the payment would be made 45 days after the invoice is raised. However, more than 60 days after completion of
... See more
Hi,

On December 2nd I finished a transcription job for an outsourcer. They got my address from the Proz.com directory and contacted me via e-mail.

At the time of starting the project, we did not discuss the payment terms, so a few days after completion of the project I asked my PM about the date I could get paid. He replied that according to the company policy the payment would be made 45 days after the invoice is raised. However, more than 60 days after completion of the project, I have not heard anything about it. They say the payment will be initiated in due time and I should not worry about that.

Since being freelance is something new for me, my question is: What exactly does "raise the invoice" mean? Is there anything else I should have done at the start of the project in order to receive the payment within 45 days? They never requested anything else besides my rates and the amount of work that I could take.

Thanks in advance, Osiris.

[Edited at 2014-01-29 15:58 GMT]
Collapse

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:10
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
You need to create an invoice and submit it to the client Jan 30, 2014

Hi Osiris,

The client is asking you to provide an invoice (a bill) for the services you have provided. They will need it for their accounts. If you have not already done so, you need to create (raise) an invoice and send it to the client.

If you need help to do so, you will find an "Invoicing" tool on this site under "Tools". You should be able to find the answers to your questions about invoices there. You should also be able to create your invoice for your client. ... See more
Hi Osiris,

The client is asking you to provide an invoice (a bill) for the services you have provided. They will need it for their accounts. If you have not already done so, you need to create (raise) an invoice and send it to the client.

If you need help to do so, you will find an "Invoicing" tool on this site under "Tools". You should be able to find the answers to your questions about invoices there. You should also be able to create your invoice for your client.

If your client sent you a Purchase Order (PO), you may need to copy some of the information on that document onto your invoice. Your client should be able to answer any other questions about the information that you need to include in your invoice.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:10
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Duplicate thread Jan 30, 2014

This has been discussed more fully in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/263489-query:_payment_and_invoicing.html

But it's a good suggestion to use the ProZ.com tool, Paul. Even non-paying members can trial it for free, which will give them the hang of invoicing. I believe the tool actually works very well.
... See more
This has been discussed more fully in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/263489-query:_payment_and_invoicing.html

But it's a good suggestion to use the ProZ.com tool, Paul. Even non-paying members can trial it for free, which will give them the hang of invoicing. I believe the tool actually works very well.

Edited to say: Sorry Paul! Don't know where I got the name David from!

[Edited at 2014-01-30 21:34 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Query: Payment and invoicing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »