Rafal_W (X)
Rafal_W (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:08
Polish to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2014

Hi,

I'm just starting as a freelance translator and I need to beef up my CV. Any ideas on where to look/who to contact to offer pro bono translations? My language pair is English/Polish.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:08
English to Polish
+ ...
... Feb 7, 2014

Post an announcement at ngo.pl. Put some information on your website and in your profile. Look at Translators Without Borders (mostly medical or related).

Rafal_W (X)
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 7, 2014

Dzięki

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Depends exactly what you mean by pro bono Feb 7, 2014

If you mean translating for free "for the public good", as it should mean, then most organisations are looking for experienced translators who will need no hand-holding, no proofreading a,d expect no feedback. TWB, for instance, requires two years' experience and even then it tests its translators before accepting them.

But there are plenty of crowd-sourced translations nowadays that are also for the public good. There are the TED videos; Wiki articles... There are associations whos
... See more
If you mean translating for free "for the public good", as it should mean, then most organisations are looking for experienced translators who will need no hand-holding, no proofreading a,d expect no feedback. TWB, for instance, requires two years' experience and even then it tests its translators before accepting them.

But there are plenty of crowd-sourced translations nowadays that are also for the public good. There are the TED videos; Wiki articles... There are associations whose sphere interests you and you believe it would interest others in your language pair but who would never pay for a translation of their website, newsletter, blog, etc.
Collapse

Rafal_W (X)
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 8, 2014

Thanks for the info.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to look for pro bono clients?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »