Working with world best translation agencies.
Thread poster: 3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Local time: 05:37
Member (2008)
Hindi to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2014

Do you think working with world best translation agencies give you an edge over other translators.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:07
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What are best translation agencies, though? Mar 3, 2014

Mohd shadab wrote:

Do you think working with world best translation agencies give you an edge over other translators.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
same comment Mar 3, 2014

It depends on your definition of "best" here.

If best equals largest, most well-known, then I'd say a definite "No!". They tend to be the ones that treat freelancers as employees, and not valued employees either, more like sweatshop labourers. There may be exceptions but that's been my experience.

If best means best, those looking to supply discerning clients with the very best translation possible, at a reasonable price which allows everybody to earn a decent living, t
... See more

If best equals largest, most well-known, then I'd say a definite "No!". They tend to be the ones that treat freelancers as employees, and not valued employees either, more like sweatshop labourers. There may be exceptions but that's been my experience.

If best means best, those looking to supply discerning clients with the very best translation possible, at a reasonable price which allows everybody to earn a decent living, then I'd say that it gives tremendous advantages to the translator. But it may not be apparent to others, who will likely say "Who?".
Collapse

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Mar 3, 2014

The question answers itself. The best agencies are the most expensive ones. If they use you to sell their expensive translations, then that's a clear signal that something is right.

Meanwhile, all translators are helping agencies be seen as 'best.' The idea of a 'best agency' obviously (to me) speaks only to what I call the reptile brain, so this might not be the most appealing aspect of being a translator.

I mean, if they want their clients to believe that there are n
... See more
The question answers itself. The best agencies are the most expensive ones. If they use you to sell their expensive translations, then that's a clear signal that something is right.

Meanwhile, all translators are helping agencies be seen as 'best.' The idea of a 'best agency' obviously (to me) speaks only to what I call the reptile brain, so this might not be the most appealing aspect of being a translator.

I mean, if they want their clients to believe that there are no translators behind them, that they just 'turn around' the files they receive 'within 24 hours' and the like... Or if they want to show a global 'closet sweatshop' where they're in full control... Or whatever they want me to be - that's what I'll gladly support my clients by 'being.'

Even if it doesn't get said on ProZ.com very often (for understandable reason, on this marketing platform:) It's your ability to translate that gives you an edge over other translators.
Collapse

3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Local time: 05:37
Member (2008)
Hindi to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes.. I beg my pardon.. its Largest Mar 3, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

If best means best, those looking to supply discerning clients with the very best translation possible, at a reasonable price which allows everybody to earn a decent living, then I'd say that it gives tremendous advantages to the translator. But it may not be apparent to others, who will likely say "Who?".

Yes.. i beg my pardon largest translation agencies e.g. Lionbridge, Transperfect, Lingo24 etc.

i agree with you that these BIG players treat freelancer as employees and why do they try to exploit freelancer and offer cheap rates.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Edge? Mar 3, 2014

Mohd shadab wrote:

We now know what you mean by "best", but what do you mean by "edge"? In what way would any translator want to have an "edge" over any other translator?

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
an edge? Mar 5, 2014

Mohd shadab wrote:
Yes.. i beg my pardon largest translation agencies e.g. Lionbridge, Transperfect, Lingo24 etc.

It gave me ulcers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with world best translation agencies.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »