How do I start my own translation company in NC, USA?
Thread poster: Svetlana Welch
Svetlana Welch
Local time: 08:55
English to Russian
Nov 21, 2004

I've been working as a free-lance translator/interpreter for a few years. My friend has been helping me with editing. Finally, we decided that it's time to start our own company. We live in Raleigh, NC, USA.

Any advice from experienced business owners?
We will appreciate it a lot.
Many thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxsarahl
Local time: 05:55
English to French
+ ...
Fasttrac Nov 21, 2004

Hi shakhoven
of course, an accountant would be in a better position to answer your question.
However, before you even talk to your accountant, I strongly recommend you attend a Fasttrac seminar, they're very good.
This is a national program that is sponsored by Chambers of Commerce and local universities, they teach the basics of starting a small business. Your local Chamber of Commerce should have their calendar, or try www.fasttrac.org.
Good luck!
Sarah

aneta_xh  Identity Verified
English to Albanian
+ ...
First ask yourself if you are ready for this step Nov 22, 2004

I do not think it is that easy: I have worked for a few years and I have a friend who edits my translations. I think having your own business involves much more than that. Do you have enough sources to get enough translation/interpretation jobs to hire enough translators and to be able to get a good income for yourself and your friend? Are you and your friend organized people? (I say this because I am not that organized myself, and it would be a nightmare if I had to be in charge of a company, but this might not be the case with you!). Or, if you think you can afford it, you may also hire a secretary to keep track of the invoices you send and those that you get from translatos. Do you have an office or at least one room dedicated to this business? Do you have enough translators in your database, for every language? I can go on and on, but just to give you an idea...
Good luck,
Ani

Svetlana Welch
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 23, 2004

aneta_xh wrote:

I do not think it is that easy: I have worked for a few years and I have a friend who edits my translations. I think having your own business involves much more than that. Do you have enough sources to get enough translation/interpretation jobs to hire enough translators and to be able to get a good income for yourself and your friend? Are you and your friend organized people? (I say this because I am not that organized myself, and it would be a nightmare if I had to be in charge of a company, but this might not be the case with you!). Or, if you think you can afford it, you may also hire a secretary to keep track of the invoices you send and those that you get from translatos. Do you have an office or at least one room dedicated to this business? Do you have enough translators in your database, for every language? I can go on and on, but just to give you an idea...
Good luck,
Ani

Thank you, Ani,

I am sure that we are ready. I don't think that we would have any organizational issues. Yes, we each have our own office and, most importantly, we are eager to work.

As for the translators' database, how about ATA? After all, that's how translation companies find me!

Thank you again!

Svetlana Welch
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 23, 2004

sarahl wrote:

Hi shakhoven
of course, an accountant would be in a better position to answer your question.
However, before you even talk to your accountant, I strongly recommend you attend a Fasttrac seminar, they're very good.
This is a national program that is sponsored by Chambers of Commerce and local universities, they teach the basics of starting a small business. Your local Chamber of Commerce should have their calendar, or try www.fasttrac.org.
Good luck!
Sarah

Thank you, Sarah,
I'll try the link.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I start my own translation company in NC, USA?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums