Maria Elena Santa
Maria Elena Santa  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:22
Romanian to English
+ ...
Aug 6, 2014

Hello,

I decided to join Proz today, so I paid the membership fees and now I was thinking of how should I get started as I am a junior translator. I done some freelance for some private individuals. Could I please get some tips of how should I apply for jobs on Proz?
Many thanks

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:22
Portuguese to English
Welcome! Aug 6, 2014

Hi Maria,

When I joined ProZ.com, I spent as much time as possible browsing the site and looking at all the great facilities it has - reading articles, training, networking and going to as many face-to-face events as possible in addition to virtual seminars and training sessions.

I can safely say that ProZ.com has been a godsend for me - by customising my homepage to show all jobs posted in my language pair, I was able to bid quickly for projects and build the great cli
... See more
Hi Maria,

When I joined ProZ.com, I spent as much time as possible browsing the site and looking at all the great facilities it has - reading articles, training, networking and going to as many face-to-face events as possible in addition to virtual seminars and training sessions.

I can safely say that ProZ.com has been a godsend for me - by customising my homepage to show all jobs posted in my language pair, I was able to bid quickly for projects and build the great client base I have now.

I also invested a lot of time refining my profile - the right kind of visibility is everything.

Best of luck with ProZ.com - I have no doubt you'll start reaping the benefits soon. Don't hesitate to make contact if I can help with anything.

Warm regards,

Mark
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Hello! Aug 6, 2014

I tried to post a message here earlier, but it hasn't appeared...

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. Aug 6, 2014

I just wanted to say welcome to ProZ, and to give you a link to a ProZ webinar on 28 August, called "Meeting clients at ProZ.com":

http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/10384-meeting_clients_at_prozcom

I attended this webinar recently, and found it quite useful.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:22
German to English
+ ...
Just browsing through the "Getting established" forum Aug 6, 2014

can help a lot, and the importance of learning the basics of running your own small business is often overlooked. Poking around Proz provided invaluable information for my business.

This is a good place to start:
http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established-15.html

Good luck!

neviuk
neviuk
United Kingdom
interpreter for courts and police Aug 7, 2014

Hi.Im new here .Could anyone explain how to go about becoming an interpreter for the courts and the police in the UK.Do you need a special certificate for that or do you sit a certain exam.how does it work.
cheers

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
I'm sure you've done a fair amount of research already Aug 7, 2014

neviuk wrote:

Hi.Im new here .Could anyone explain how to go about becoming an interpreter for the courts and the police in the UK.Do you need a special certificate for that or do you sit a certain exam.how does it work.
cheers

There is quite a lot of info available online, as you've probably found for yourself. The first things I found were:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/interpreter_training.htm

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/interpreter.aspx

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »