English to French (interpreting both ways): state of play
Thread poster: Man Cunian
Man Cunian
Man Cunian
Local time: 18:56
English to French
+ ...
Dec 15, 2004

I am considering doing an MA E/F at HW (Edimburgh) but as it is very costly (the whole year would set me back nigh on £10K) it needs serious consideration. First of all, what is HW like for Conference Interpreting, Translation and such likes ?
Secondly, what is the market like for such a standard combination (ENG/FRENCH) as far as Interpreting is concerned ? (I must add that I can travel but cannot move out of UK for family reasons). I do not aim to earn a lot, I am past 40 and had 2 car
... See more
I am considering doing an MA E/F at HW (Edimburgh) but as it is very costly (the whole year would set me back nigh on £10K) it needs serious consideration. First of all, what is HW like for Conference Interpreting, Translation and such likes ?
Secondly, what is the market like for such a standard combination (ENG/FRENCH) as far as Interpreting is concerned ? (I must add that I can travel but cannot move out of UK for family reasons). I do not aim to earn a lot, I am past 40 and had 2 careers before hopefully embarking gently onto Interpreting, so working 40 to 60 days a year is fine. But can you still get 50 days/year of work in the EU with that 'passe-partout' combination ?
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:56
French to English
Heriot-Watt Dec 15, 2004

I did my Interpreting and Translation degree at Heriot-Watt. The course was only in its second year when I attended (1995-96), and the creator had left the university before the beginning of our year, so things seemed a bit disorganized at the time. I don't know how it is now.

The interpreting instruction (conference, simultaneous and liaison) was quite good (translation was OK). They have excellent labs and very good resources. And just being able to live in Edinburgh is worth it.
... See more
I did my Interpreting and Translation degree at Heriot-Watt. The course was only in its second year when I attended (1995-96), and the creator had left the university before the beginning of our year, so things seemed a bit disorganized at the time. I don't know how it is now.

The interpreting instruction (conference, simultaneous and liaison) was quite good (translation was OK). They have excellent labs and very good resources. And just being able to live in Edinburgh is worth it. I have many, many fond memories

Someone else will have to answer your question about the interpreting market in the UK.

Hope that helps,

Erika
Collapse

Man Cunian
Man Cunian
Local time: 18:56
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Erika Dec 17, 2004

Anyone out there who's interpreting in English to French or both ways, I'd like to know whether it's worth going through an MA to make a decent living out of it, I mean, are there any openings left or is it totally saturated, particularly in the UK ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English to French (interpreting both ways): state of play

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »