https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/2849-returning_to_translation_after_long_lapse.html

Returning to translation after long lapse
Thread poster: deireland
deireland
deireland
Local time: 21:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 18, 2002

I could do with some advice. For the past 9 years I have been concentrating on computing and writing and have lost contact with my previous life as a translator. In the old days I used to get work by referral - now I want to translate part-time via email and I discover that I am reticent to publish my CV for 2 reasons:

Firstly, all of my translation experience dates back to before 1993. Secondly, I am accutely aware of how public the Web is and reluctant to expose my previo
... See more
I could do with some advice. For the past 9 years I have been concentrating on computing and writing and have lost contact with my previous life as a translator. In the old days I used to get work by referral - now I want to translate part-time via email and I discover that I am reticent to publish my CV for 2 reasons:

Firstly, all of my translation experience dates back to before 1993. Secondly, I am accutely aware of how public the Web is and reluctant to expose my previous clients to publicity about work I carried out for them.

Most of the invitations to bid I have seen so far involve sending a CV to an anonymous recipient with no mention of a privacy policy, whether or not the data will be stored in a database, for how long, how that data will be maintained or how it will be secured.

Does anyone else share my concern? Is there a way around this dilemma?

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Returning to translation after long lapse

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »