Mobile menu

Platinum membership - obtained more work?
Thread poster: Glyn Haggett
Glyn Haggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:38
German to English
Feb 1, 2005

Since I am currently experiencing a shortage of work, I wondered if anyone would be able to say they have genuinely obtained more work since becoming a platinum member of this site or {edited by staff} of the other translation marketplaces.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-01 16:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
Member (2004)
English to French
Not more work but... Feb 1, 2005

A lot more emails (offers, request of quotations) which can lead to more work.

vixen  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:38
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Profile and ranking Feb 1, 2005

With a Platinum membership you will be listed more prominently when outsourcers are looking for translators.

If you work on your profile and ranking (by answering Kudoz questions), you are likely to get more requests for quotes. That's what I did. After some time, I was contacted by an agency that has now become my best client.

One other advantage of a Platinum membership is that you have unrestricted access to the Blue Board.

xxxNathalieVVT  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
DEFINITELY Feb 1, 2005

I am not yet a PLATINUM member of Proz, but I am one of {another site}; and I have noticed a significant difference. Because you're placed on top of the list, you do get more traffic. I am considering becoming a Platinum member because I find that Proz is a great site and that it deserves all the financial support it can get.

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
Member (2003)
German to English
Yes, the investment is worth it Feb 1, 2005

Yes, the investment in platinum membership has consistently paid itself off, both through new clients and perhaps even more importantly access to the Blue Boards, which helps avoid bad clients.

That said, I have a decent resume, so being platinum helps garner attention, and then my profile and references (hopefully) convinces them that I am the right one for them. Simply going platinum won't do much if you have little or no experience. If that is your problem, then I suggest browsing through the 'getting established' forum for myriad advice on that point.

Good luck,

Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:38
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
More work, definitely... plus Blue Board access Feb 1, 2005

Of all the relatively small annual marketing investments (under $200 or so) Monica and I make each year, the platinum membership is arguably the most valuable.

Every year, our platinum membership generates new business contacts which result in tangible job opportunities. The same has not held true for memberships at other translator websites, our ATA membership, and other similar investments.

Along with new work opportunities, my favorite platinum member feature is instant access to the agency Blue Board. We can leave positive public feedback about our good business partners and know immediately when to "dodge a bullet" when a non-payer tempts us with a large job.

In my opinion, the platinum membership is a definite thumbs up!

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:38
Italian to English
+ ...
I agree with Todd... Feb 1, 2005

I find the Blue Board invaluable.
The glossaries have also served me well.

I have not focused on whether or not I get more jobs through proz or not, although the few new clients I have gained in the last year have for the most part said they found me through the proz directory. Most of my clients are contacts that I've had for a few years now, though (some, initially gained through proz).

Just my personal opinion, but if you find proz's services of use to you, why noy consider a platinum membership? At the very least, you'll be helping support the site and all it offers.

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
English to German
+ ...
Totally agree Feb 1, 2005

I agree with what the others said, surely unlimited access to the BlueBoard is one of the most important features you get when becoming a Platinum member. I use it constantly to check potential new clients and have been able to avoid some notorious non-payers.

Also, I have definitely noticed an increase in e-mails containing job offers and requests for quotes that I receive through my profile since I've become a Platinum member. Even though not all of these contacts have resulted in working relationships, I found a few regular clients through them.

If I were you, I'd definitely give Platinum membership a go!

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:38
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Definitely! Feb 1, 2005

My workload has climbed steadily since I became a member of ProZ and even more since I turned Platinum.

The same cannot be said for the two other translation sites that I have paid into to be a member. I have yet to see the first job of the one (I have been a member for 2 years now - trust me; this marketing expense is the last one I made last year) and obtained 3 clients of the other (I have been a member there even longer than with ProZ). I am not sure that that one is worth keeping as well. I am thinking about it.

Another great advantage of ProZ Platinum is the Blue Board - Platinum members have free access and I have used the BB to my advantage.

My latest (very big) job came through ProZ, so I would say: "Go for it!"

Good luck!

Jennifer Brinckmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:38
English to Spanish
Proz works Feb 1, 2005

Hi Glyn,

I agree with Lucinda.

I had several paid suscriptions to services similar to Proz and it never did me any good.

Proz is excellent.

Get your Platinum membership... it's worth every cent you pay.

Best regards,

Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:38
Spanish to English
ProZ: more than a resource - a workplace Feb 2, 2005

I have to say that I don't know where I would be without ProZ. There is the glossary and the Blue Board, the ability to bid on jobs and the valuable work that comes from direct contacts.

I have been able to build up my volume of work substantially through ProZ, which I could never do within the confines of my province or country.

I have experimented with other translation sites, and have been left wanting. This is truly a workplace for me and I congratulate Henry and his staff for making it so.

I think the important thing is to build a good profile along with your Platinum membership. You won't regret it!

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Three website are worth the money. Feb 2, 2005

I have obtained a couple of jobs through Proz. It is better to prevent than to cure, so checking out agencies on the Blue Board is quite useful.
If you can afford it, invest in, and I have obtained jobs and job offers through all these sites and it were not jobs worth just a couple of euros/$.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Platinum membership - obtained more work?

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs