Laura Barbieri
Laura Barbieri  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:00
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 2, 2005

Hello all,
I'm posting this because I really feel frustrated and need an outburst. I found a job offer posted on proz, I applied for it and there was a sample text to translate. I did it and sent my application. After a couple of hours the agency contacted me, saying I had the right background, if I could please send in my CV. I did as asked, and they answered that it was ok, how I wished to be paid and if I could review the texts attached and tell them if I could handle the job. They also
... See more
Hello all,
I'm posting this because I really feel frustrated and need an outburst. I found a job offer posted on proz, I applied for it and there was a sample text to translate. I did it and sent my application. After a couple of hours the agency contacted me, saying I had the right background, if I could please send in my CV. I did as asked, and they answered that it was ok, how I wished to be paid and if I could review the texts attached and tell them if I could handle the job. They also attached a website script for my review, asking if I could possibily do that as well for next week (same client). I answered yes to all but got no answer. When, 10 minutes later, I sent another mail for confirmation, they said sorry, but had handed the job to another translator, if I could please proofread if for 0.01€/source text word once the other colleague had finished it. Of course I said "NO". What makes me mad is that, if I hadn't sent another mail asking where they had ended up, nobody would have told me they had changed their minds in 30 seconds. Does this happen very often? I'm still a newbie and don't know how to deal with such disappointments...

[Edited at 2005-02-02 16:16]
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Frustrating but it happens Feb 2, 2005

Don't get discouraged. It does happen. Chalk it up to experience and move on. I would also put the agency on my list that does not deserve loyalty. I have two types of customers. Those for whom I'd do virtually anything for and those that I fit in if I have nothing else to do or because I like the job.

The agency will find out in due time that loyalty (both ways) is priceless!

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it happens...and this might not be the last Feb 2, 2005

Dear Frustrated Translator,

Yes, as Marijke says, these things happen, and this might not be the only time it happens to you, so just let it go and look ahead! There are LOTS of opportunities. It's history now, and not all agencies are the same.
Just keep an eye on job postings, and sooner or later you'll find something to help you forget...Cheer up!

Laura Barbieri
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Feb 2, 2005

for your support, I guess this is what I needed, solidarity I already feel better, and hope next time my luck changes!

Bye

NathalieVVT (X)
NathalieVVT (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:00
French to English
+ ...
It happens... Feb 2, 2005

But this must not let you down. You have the bad days and the good days. I'm sure lots of translators have experienced this.
Just keep confident and keep a record of these agencies who repeatedly do this. I'm sure there are not that many.

Good Luck!

Katarina Tršová

Martina Silpoch
Martina Silpoch  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:00
English to Czech
+ ...
Had even "better " experience Feb 3, 2005

Well, if this was frustrating, imagine this scenario - an agency contacted me, said they got my name from another translator who recommended me, they looked up my credentials and would like to offer me a job of about 10, 000 words. Told them to email me a sample, agreed with their timeline, they agreed with my price, sent me the whole file. Half an hour later I got an email, asking if I started working on it, they would like to have about 10 pages within 24 hours. So I put aside another half don... See more
Well, if this was frustrating, imagine this scenario - an agency contacted me, said they got my name from another translator who recommended me, they looked up my credentials and would like to offer me a job of about 10, 000 words. Told them to email me a sample, agreed with their timeline, they agreed with my price, sent me the whole file. Half an hour later I got an email, asking if I started working on it, they would like to have about 10 pages within 24 hours. So I put aside another half done project (with plenty of time to finish) and started. About 2 hours later they emailed that they decided to work with a translator in their own country so there is no need for me to continue.
You can bet I will not touch anything with their name on it. Never ever again!
Collapse

Laura Barbieri
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no respect Feb 4, 2005

It's incredible how little respect these people have! Thank you for telling me your "better" experience, Martina I just wish it were possible to tell these stories in the BlueBoard... probably we would run out of room

Ciao

Cecilia Di Vita
Cecilia Di Vita  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:00
English to Italian
+ ...
the frustration continues Feb 11, 2005

Hi, the same thing happened to me about two days ago. An agency for which I had already done a successful test translation (at least that's what they said) sent me an enquiry about a potential job. I replied about one hour and a half later, saying that I was going to accept the job. They replied the following day saying "thanks for your fast response (!) but we've handed the project to another translator". Grrrr.... these things make me go nuts!!!

Cecilia

p.s. good luc
... See more
Hi, the same thing happened to me about two days ago. An agency for which I had already done a successful test translation (at least that's what they said) sent me an enquiry about a potential job. I replied about one hour and a half later, saying that I was going to accept the job. They replied the following day saying "thanks for your fast response (!) but we've handed the project to another translator". Grrrr.... these things make me go nuts!!!

Cecilia

p.s. good luck!!!
Collapse

Sondra Schalk
Sondra Schalk
United States
Local time: 09:00
German to English
+ ...
You have to set the rules. Apr 4, 2012

The truth is, you have to set the rules. If you don't, people will take advantage or mistreat you.
Experience comes with time, so give yourself some time to learn. It still is a rewarding and wonderful profession. So, try not to get frustrated about respectless treatment. Just make a list of these companies and prevent it from happening again. It is only fair, if you protect yourself from such business practices, besides, nobody else will. You have to deal with the good and the bad,
... See more
The truth is, you have to set the rules. If you don't, people will take advantage or mistreat you.
Experience comes with time, so give yourself some time to learn. It still is a rewarding and wonderful profession. So, try not to get frustrated about respectless treatment. Just make a list of these companies and prevent it from happening again. It is only fair, if you protect yourself from such business practices, besides, nobody else will. You have to deal with the good and the bad, so to say, and learn with time.
Collapse

Laura Barbieri
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sondra Apr 4, 2012

Dear Sondra,

thanks for your support. As you can see, seven years later (yikes!) I'm still working as a freelancer, so I guess I've learned to manage this kind of setbacks the way you suggest

All the best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

frustrated translator

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »