Mobile menu

invoicing system, how?
Thread poster: xxxlexcetera
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 10, 2005

Hello everyone, I'm a SpanishEnglish Legal Interpreter, relatively new to the profession.

I'd like to know what is the best way to create, and keep track of, invoices that I need to send out to clients? What does everyone use, Excel? I'm not a very good user of this program and am at a loss when it comes to billing my clients. What I've been doing so far is simply creating a word processing document for each job, and numbering the invoice # manually; I realize this is not the most efficient way to do it.

Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:19
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
Excel has worked well for me Feb 11, 2005

Although I love fancy new software, and although there are a lot of impressive accounting packages out there, I have found that a simple Excel system works well for a typical freelance business model.

I made my own little "accounting system" which does all of the following:

- Tracks all invoice activity
- Alerts me when an invoice goes past due
- Summarizes cash collections, invoice totals, past due receivables and business expenses by month and by annual total
- Serves as a tax record at year end

If you would like I would be happy to share some of the formulas with you. The whole system is foolproof and very straightforward in all respects.

Hope this helps and good luck!

xxxNathalieVVT  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
French to English
+ ...

Hi Legalace,

I have set up a system that keeps a record of invoices; investments (for inland revenue); ROI and other useful information. All the worksheets are linked and I can send you a template if you are interested.

xxxElena Sgarbo  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Another suggestion Feb 11, 2005

Hi Legalace,

Welcome to ProZ!.

One way to learn what other translators are using for invoicing is to run a search in our Forums. In the column to your left, click on "Forums Search" and search "invoice" or "invoicing", and perhaps add "Excel".

You can search just in this Forum ("Getting established"), or in all Forums under "Business of Translation and Interpreting".

There are also several suggestions about "facturar" in the Spanish Forum.

[Edited at 2005-02-11 17:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

invoicing system, how?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs