invoicing system, how?
Thread poster: lexcetera (X)
lexcetera (X)
lexcetera (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 10, 2005

Hello everyone, I'm a SpanishEnglish Legal Interpreter, relatively new to the profession.

I'd like to know what is the best way to create, and keep track of, invoices that I need to send out to clients? What does everyone use, Excel? I'm not a very good user of this program and am at a loss when it comes to billing my clients. What I've been doing so far is simply creating a word processing document for each job, and numbering the invoice # manually; I realize this is not the most
... See more
Hello everyone, I'm a SpanishEnglish Legal Interpreter, relatively new to the profession.

I'd like to know what is the best way to create, and keep track of, invoices that I need to send out to clients? What does everyone use, Excel? I'm not a very good user of this program and am at a loss when it comes to billing my clients. What I've been doing so far is simply creating a word processing document for each job, and numbering the invoice # manually; I realize this is not the most efficient way to do it.

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:52
Portuguese to English
Excel has worked well for me Feb 11, 2005

Although I love fancy new software, and although there are a lot of impressive accounting packages out there, I have found that a simple Excel system works well for a typical freelance business model.

I made my own little "accounting system" which does all of the following:

- Tracks all invoice activity
- Alerts me when an invoice goes past due
- Summarizes cash collections, invoice totals, past due receivables and business expenses by month and by annual to
... See more
Although I love fancy new software, and although there are a lot of impressive accounting packages out there, I have found that a simple Excel system works well for a typical freelance business model.

I made my own little "accounting system" which does all of the following:

- Tracks all invoice activity
- Alerts me when an invoice goes past due
- Summarizes cash collections, invoice totals, past due receivables and business expenses by month and by annual total
- Serves as a tax record at year end

If you would like I would be happy to share some of the formulas with you. The whole system is foolproof and very straightforward in all respects.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Todd
Collapse

NathalieVVT (X)
NathalieVVT (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:52
French to English
+ ...
EXCEL ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME Feb 11, 2005

Hi Legalace,

I have set up a system that keeps a record of invoices; investments (for inland revenue); ROI and other useful information. All the worksheets are linked and I can send you a template if you are interested.

Nathalie

Elena Sgarbo (X)
Elena Sgarbo (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Another suggestion Feb 11, 2005

Hi Legalace,

Welcome to ProZ!.

One way to learn what other translators are using for invoicing is to run a search in our Forums. In the column to your left, click on "Forums Search" and search "invoice" or "invoicing", and perhaps add "Excel".

You can search just in this Forum ("Getting established"), or in all Forums under "Business of Translation and Interpreting".

There are also several suggestions about "facturar" in the Spanish Forum.
... See more
Hi Legalace,

Welcome to ProZ!.

One way to learn what other translators are using for invoicing is to run a search in our Forums. In the column to your left, click on "Forums Search" and search "invoice" or "invoicing", and perhaps add "Excel".

You can search just in this Forum ("Getting established"), or in all Forums under "Business of Translation and Interpreting".

There are also several suggestions about "facturar" in the Spanish Forum.

¡Suerte!

Elena

[Edited at 2005-02-11 17:30]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

invoicing system, how?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »