Mobile menu

What do I have to do to get started in the UK?
Thread poster: grzes

grzes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
Polish to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2005

I'm just starting as a freelance translator in the United Kingdom. Before I worked for an Agency in Poland. My question is how do I get started in money matters. I mean: What do I need to do in order to bill a client? Do I need to register my "freelancing", or paypal account is enough? Do clients require an invoice for each job? How does it work. Thanks for all help.
cheers

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-22 17:18]

Direct link Reply with quote

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:21
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Register as self-employed Feb 22, 2005

It is really quite easy. You go to your local Inland Revenue office and register as self-employed. To register you need pasport, National Insurance number, proof of address (cannot think of anything else at the moment). You have to fill in the questionaire they will give you and that's it. You can earn up to GBP 4500 a year before you have to start paying income tax, and you pay 2 pounds weekly towards your national contributions.
As to clients - they could not give a monkey. If you work in the UK, you do not need the VAT number unless you earn 50 something grant per annum which is highly unlikely in this profession.
So that's it in essence.

Good luck!
Burrell

grzes  Identity Verified
United States
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Burrell Feb 22, 2005

Thanks Burrell, Sounds easy, but I wonder how easy it is for a polish citizent to get the National Insurance number? And how do you do it? Sorry, for being such a pain in the butt.

Karine Piera  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
English to French
+ ...
Inland Revenue seminars Feb 22, 2005

Once you are registered, the Inland Revenue will propose you seminars about self-employment where you can ask all the questions you want. If they don't have the answers straight away, they will contact you later (or at least it is what they did for me).
Karine

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
also online Feb 22, 2005

It is really quite easy. You go to your local Inland Revenue office and register as self-employed.

Check this link http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/startingup/index.htm

You can also do it online:
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/startingup/register.htm

Regards,
Grace.

[Edited at 2005-02-22 17:59]

Karine Piera  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
English to French
+ ...
I am not aware of any nationality pb Feb 22, 2005

I am French citizen, and working for a company during daytime. Most of my colleagues are not English, and all of us had our national insurance number without any difficulty. Same for my Cypriot boyfriend..

Karine

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Italian to English
How to get an N.I. number Feb 22, 2005

"You should apply for a National Insurance number through your local Jobcentre Plus office, Jobcentre or social security office".
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp#where

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
NIN Feb 22, 2005

Poland is one of the new EU memberstates. As a citizen of such you have the right to work in the UK (and Ireland). If you were to be employed by somebody else, you would have to register with the Home Office, pay 50 pounds or so, present all the payperwork from you employer and they would give you the work permit or some other paperwork or NIN. But for self-employed citizens of the new memberstates it is a lot easier. You can start working, get a couple of jobs done, take the photocopies of the business correspondence, bank slips showing that you have been paid - basically anything to prove that your business is really going ahead, and go to your local Job Centre. They will give you date for (in about 2 month time) an interview where you will talk nicely to an official working there. After another couple of month you will receive your national insurance number by post. It will take about 3-4 month in total. Only then you can register as self-employed. You will have to explain this to the Inland Revenue, because otherwise they can issue a fine of GBP 100 for not registering earlier. Catch 22 situation really but it works.

Cheers,
Burrell

grzes  Identity Verified
United States
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still don't get it Feb 22, 2005

O'key, but how can I issue an invoice and get paid for a job if I'm not some kind of legal entity. In other words: Can I issue an invoice without being registered?
regards
grzes

Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes....and wait ... Feb 23, 2005

Yes you can issue an invoice without being registered...you only need to type up your invoice with your services, the amount and how they should pay you and that's it.

I would add that the Inland Revenue gives you 3 months to register as self-employed. I would advise that you use this time, this means do not get registered until you have done a couple of jobs but don't forget that you have 3 months to register from the first job you do.

As for the NIN I know when someone employs you and you don't have a NIN they put down your date of birth as your NIN while you get one. I wonder if this also works when you are self-employed. Obviously when you get your NIN you need to let them know....might be different with self-employment though.

Good luck.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Temporary NIN Feb 23, 2005

I was helping my stepson to get the national insurance number. The boy had just reached 18 and wanted to start working but had been out of the country for a few years so did not have the NIN yet. The job centre explained that he can start working with a temporary I.N. which is composed the following way - M/F(male/female)+dd+mm+yy of birth. So, say you are a female born on July 12, 1951, your temporary I.N. would be F120751. Mind you I am not sure you can register as self employed that way.
So with all the wealth of the knowledge you have just come across here give Inland Revenue a call or better still go and see them if they are in the neighborhood. They are very friendly and will explain everything.

Burrell

[Edited at 2005-02-23 10:24]

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
you can register with the IR anyway Feb 24, 2005

Burrell wrote:
I am not sure you can register as self employed that way.
So with all the wealth of the knowledge you have just come across here give Inland Revenue a call or better still go and see them if they are in the neighborhood. They are very friendly and will explain everything.

When I registered, a few years ago, I started with the NINo. After the appointment at the Benefits Agency they told me I would be getting the number through the post in a few weeks so I rang the IR and they told me I could register with them and inform the NINo as soon as I got it. They registered me and gave me my Tax Reference Code immediately.
The BA took over 6 months (yes SIX) because they had a huge backlog (I rang them several times in the meantime to find out), but that wasn't any problem for the IR. When it finally arrived I let them know, they thank me and that was it.
So, no big deal really.
Except for the appointment at the BA, you can do everything over the phone or internet.

Good luck!
Grace.

Ruth Martinez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
something else Mar 3, 2005

Burrell wrote:

I was helping my stepson to get the national insurance number. The boy had just reached 18 and wanted to start working but had been out of the country for a few years so did not have the NIN yet. The job centre explained that he can start working with a temporary I.N. which is composed the following way - M/F(male/female)+dd+mm+yy of birth. So, say you are a female born on July 12, 1951, your temporary I.N. would be F120751. Mind you I am not sure you can register as self employed that way.

Burrell

[Edited at 2005-02-23 10:24]

And add a T infront of the M/F. So:

T+ M/F(male/female)+dd+mm+yy of birth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do I have to do to get started in the UK?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs