Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Mar 21, 2016

Thought it'd be nice to share my latest 'mobile' setup. Working constantly in the home office can be so emotionally draining, it's good to get out occasionally.

The iPad mini is running as a second display with the Duet Display app and I now have it sitting in a dock.

All runs very smoothly!

Would love to see other cafe setups!

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes I do (occasionally) Mar 21, 2016

It is very nice indeed

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What about the security of the Internet connection? Mar 21, 2016

I've never really tried to do more than a quick read-through as I don't think I could comcentrate 100% in a café. Here, there are always at least 2-3 languages being spoken within earshot and I'd find it difficult to tune them all out.

I have had to resort to sending work from cafés a couple of times when I've had connection problems at the office. But first, I've always got the client's authorisation to do so as the security angle worroes me. I'm not very IT-savvy though so perha
... See more
I've never really tried to do more than a quick read-through as I don't think I could comcentrate 100% in a café. Here, there are always at least 2-3 languages being spoken within earshot and I'd find it difficult to tune them all out.

I have had to resort to sending work from cafés a couple of times when I've had connection problems at the office. But first, I've always got the client's authorisation to do so as the security angle worroes me. I'm not very IT-savvy though so perhaps I'm worrying needlessly. Having said that, there's one bar whose Wi-Fi I always use for non-work stuff on my phone and Avast aways warns me about it being "potentially dangerous".
Collapse

deryaun (X)
deryaun (X)  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Of course Mar 21, 2016

Are you kidding?
My favorite place!
Ciao
Derya

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
That coffee sitting on the laptop... Mar 21, 2016

...has sent my anxiety level soaring.

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
Nice setup:) Mar 21, 2016

Being a lot "on the road", I also translate sometimes in the cafes during "pit stops". To avoid security problems with Wi-Fi mentioned by Sheila I use my mobile phone as an Internet modem. This way I can also work in the car while being a co-pilot or just a passenger:)

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
My own hotspot Mar 21, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
But first, I've always got the client's authorisation to do so as the security angle worroes me. I'm not very IT-savvy though so perhaps I'm worrying needlessly. Having said that, there's one bar whose Wi-Fi I always use for non-work stuff on my phone and Avast aways warns me about it being "potentially dangerous".

I normally use my hot spot, from my mobile.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Mar 21, 2016

I can’t work in cafes: too much noise, too much distraction! I’m really a creature of habit when it comes to work: I work at my small office when it’s cold or rainy or at my terrace when it’s warm and sunny… In order to work I need to lock myself away on my own and focus for an extended period without being interrupted.

P.S. Is this an age thing?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Is that keyboard coffee-resistant: ) Mar 21, 2016

Noni Gilbert wrote:

I used to have an expensive branded ergonomic keyboard (probably €50 worth) that was affected by unexpected coffee spill (stopped working). Then I had €5 keyboards that weren't sensitive to such stuff at all and would last for years.

Edna Landau
Edna Landau  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:31
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Not an age thing Mar 21, 2016

No, i don't think it has to do with age. I would also love to be able to work at a cafe, but, alas, i don't think i would be able to concentrate with all that goes on around.
My second, tiny, setback is that the closest cafe is 20 kilometers away... and i have exhausted their menu.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
... soaring to new heights! Mar 21, 2016

Noni Gilbert wrote:

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Not a matter of age Mar 21, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

P.S. Is this an age thing?

perhaps a matter of habits...,

[Edited at 2016-03-21 16:09 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Not making a splash just for show Mar 21, 2016

In fact, neither Apple, nor some other entity pays me for ads; also I don’t find sub-notes, let alone iPads (or any other tabs) any useful for my researches and projects, not to mention it’s no social work to do at large either)

A few times my young hectic life did lead me to work at VIP-zone/lounge, although projects were non-NDA, I still wasted much time and felt rather digressed and distracted; not the case with interpreting, though.

So, when I see such façade
... See more
In fact, neither Apple, nor some other entity pays me for ads; also I don’t find sub-notes, let alone iPads (or any other tabs) any useful for my researches and projects, not to mention it’s no social work to do at large either)

A few times my young hectic life did lead me to work at VIP-zone/lounge, although projects were non-NDA, I still wasted much time and felt rather digressed and distracted; not the case with interpreting, though.

So, when I see such façade typists, I can’t help smiling it's all but put on.
Perhaps, they are doing well in biz too, wish them good luck anyway.
Collapse

Fiona MacMillan
Fiona MacMillan  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Wine gets the creative juices flowing Mar 21, 2016

Love to work in cafés, I concentrate better when I need to block out the background noise. Probably the result of years in boarding school doing homework in a room with 20 other people! Best time is the end of the day and I only take with me the tricky passages which I think need improving on. An hour and a glass of wine later I’ve usually cracked them.

Michal Chmielewski
Michal Chmielewski  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
I recommend you to work in a coworking space Mar 21, 2016

I agree with you that the home office can be quite emotionally draining. After I had got really enough of the loneliness of my home office I started to work not at cafes but in public libraries. But the best solution for people who are sick off the home office is a coworking space. For a small amount of money you work together with another people that is really motivating and increases your work efficiency.

Regards

Mike

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you translate in cafes?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »