Mobile menu

working for an agency
Thread poster: Man Cunian
Man Cunian
Local time: 04:32
English to French
+ ...
Mar 3, 2005

What sort of credentials does one need to work in a translation agency (of good standing) ? Is a degree in translation/IOL diploma a must-have ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:32
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Absolutely not! Mar 3, 2005

I have neither - but they will ask for samples and references and proof of experience.
If they don't ... well ... the same sort of superficiality might apply to paying up afterwards! Or blaming you if the customer doesn't like to job or .... or ... or ... see what I mean?
Angela

Man Cunian wrote:

What sort of credentials does one need to work in a translation agency (of good standing) ? Is a degree in translation/IOL diploma a must-have ?

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Academic credentials good, experience better Mar 3, 2005

Dear Man Cunian,

The best customers know that the best credential is real life professional experience in a specific field in more than one country, and then real translation experience in that field. Academic and association credentials and dictionaries and so on act as an excellent support to that.

Of course, the best is to have a combination of both experience and credentials. Nowadays a strong background in certain areas of information technology for purely operational purposes is also increasingly a prerequisite.

All the best,

Stve

Christina Mc Cormack
German to English
+ ...
I doubt it ! Mar 3, 2005

Dear Man Cunian!
I have an MA in Translation and that seems to make no difference at all and rightly so. There are quite a lot of "Academics" who haven't got a clue as far as good translations are concerned and lots of translators without qualifications who really have a lot of experience and a good feeling for the language.
I guess most agencies take that into account once they get back to you. But what are the other colleagues' experiences with agencies?
I am quite fed up with them. Most of them don't even bother to acknowledge receipt of your application letter etc. I am getting quite tired of it.

Man Cunian
Local time: 04:32
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
agency work Mar 5, 2005

Thanks, I am surprised though that having an MA makes no difference in finding work, surely it helped you to get established, didn't it ? What if one's experience in translation is very limited, will agencies still take you on ? These samples you've mentioned some of you, are they provided ? how does the whole thing work ? Don't (some) agencies take you on (as permanent or free lance) if they feel you're good enough, even as a probationer, even if you have NO credentials ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

working for an agency

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs