Mobile menu

Advice on translation job
Thread poster: Keir
German to English
Mar 7, 2005

I am looking for some advice from seasoned translators, as to whether I should take a job:

You can see my background is very limited if you look at my profile, but I do have good language skills (technical / scientific German).

I've been offered a fairly low-paid job doing German -> English for an IT services company in DE.

I did a "test translation" for them, and it was fun, and they want me to come for interview.

I'm thinking I can do their job for 6 months (the contract time), get some experience that way, maybe study part-time for an MA Trans... then try to move on...

Does it sound like a good idea to start my (hypothetical) translation career this way?

Yours sincerely,

K. Hopwood MSci YiE

Direct link Reply with quote
United States
Local time: 11:02
French to English
It's up to you... Mar 7, 2005

I think it sounds good, provided that even though it is low, you can still live on what the pay will be, plus it is something that you consider to be worth your while. I would say it sounds like a good opportunity, though, to expand your expertise and gain some valuable experience.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Go for it! Mar 7, 2005

in-house jobs generally tend to offer low (-ish) pay, that is why most translators go freelance and make more money that way. Also, you cannot expect a high salary if you don't have much experience.

However, given your limited translation experience up til now, this is a good opportunity to get the experience and guidance you need.

Viel Glueck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on translation job

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs