Mobile menu

what do you have to do in order to become a translator from scratch
Thread poster: eleni sakka

eleni sakka
Local time: 03:04
English to Greek
+ ...
May 28, 2002

Dear everyone,first I have to say that I\'m very glad that I found this helpfull site about translators from around the globe.

I have been thinking to beocme a translator for some time now as I am bilingual in English and Greek. I have studied in UK and after years of studying I\'m a scientist in cancer biology (PhD level). Having a high knowledge of all things scientific and being bilingual (with excellent writing skills), could I be considered as a potential medical/science translator or do I have to get some degree in tranlation?? I\'ll be glad if anyone could advise me on the above. Thank you very much for your time

Direct link Reply with quote

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:04
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
My path May 29, 2002

Hi,

Let me give you the quick version of my story.

Always enjoyed German, grew up English-only, studied on my own, high school, German language course in an engineering college (not much German), graduated with a BS in electrical engineering. Started working as an engineer.

Went to Germany to improve my German and VOILA! I became a translator. Have been a translating engineer or an engineering translator ever since.

Your specialized knowledge will stand you in good stead, but you should not neglect the grammar/writing facet. You have to have a dominant language and you should translate INTO that language. You should ensure that your output is not just scientific gobbledygook (as an engineer, I have seen MORE than my share of this--in both German AND English).

Getting work in the field is worth another thread entirely.

Welcome to the community and good luck.

AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 04:04
English to Dutch
+ ...
medical translator too May 30, 2002

Hello,

I\'ve graduated in 1993 as a veterinarian. I worked for a couple of years in Belgium as a vet but then we moved abroad. Due to the work of my husband we move every 2-3 years to another country. Medical translations seemed for me THE way to stay working in my field. Luckely I had good language skills. Not having a translation degree but being able to offer a field of expertise I found more and more clients. (I have to be honest: in the beginning it was very hard).

Good luck and maybe one little advice: stick yo your expertise field. This is a mistake I have made in the beginning in order to gain clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what do you have to do in order to become a translator from scratch

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs