Thread poster: Alexandra Beisl

Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:07
English to German
+ ...
Mar 13, 2005

Hi there

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Spain in the short to medium term. I intend to continue working as a freelance translator from there for my already established client base in the UK and in Germany and would like to know what I need to bear in mind as far as tax, work or resident permit or pensions are concerned.Probably a vast topic, but I am after some first pointers, so any suggestions are welcome!

Many thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Kit Cree  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
wide topics indeed... Mar 13, 2005

hi,
as long as you are both EU nationals then you don't even need a resident's permit, just a current passport. however as far as everyday admin is concerned then a NIE (foreigner's ID number) is the most useful number you'll ever receive. you will need to go to the police station to organise that.
you will also need to sign on with the social security and pay monthly contributions as well as registering as an 'autonomo' (freelancer) with the town hall and then 'tesoreria'. all sounds complicated now but it's not too stressful if you've got time to get things sorted. anything else?
by the way, where are you planning to move to?
good luck
kit

[Edited at 2005-03-13 13:09]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
NIF/NIE, Social Security & Hacienda, Mar 13, 2005

Yes, first of all, get your NIE or NIF (effectively the same, Numero de Identificación Fiscal/Extrangero). That is straightforward for EU nationals, just a bit time-consuming, at least 4-6 weeks and a few trips to different departments and police stations.

The next step will be to get registered (ponerse de alta) with the social security and revenue authorities - the Seguridad Social and Hacienda (AEAT). If you are going to live outside a big city, you will probably be able to do this yourself. In a big city it might be as well to get a 'gestor' to do it for you.

Social Security costs about 250 euros a month. You pay IRPF (tax) at 15%, by deducting it from each bill you issue. You add 16% VAT to each bill you issue too.

You will make VAT and income tax returns every 3 months (plus annual declarations), again quite complex for beginners initially.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Tax deduction at source - not within EU & other remarks. Mar 21, 2005

ONLY if you register as a freelancer you have to deduct 15% on the invoices, and even then ONLY with Spanish agencies (guess why I prefer working across the border...).
You may also register ('alta') as 'translation services' and then you do not have to bother with the IRPF deduction on the invoice (I will rectify that myself as soon as I move to the North of Spain), at least that's what a trusted ProZ colleague told me. Then IVA is 0% for your invoices to your (VAT-registered) UK and German clients. That makes things easier. I have a gestor who deals with all the paperwork (every 3 moths and then the annual tax return), I think it's well worth it. You can continue paying for your NI in the UK as an expat, that's also well worth doing, as the amount to be paid in is relatively low, and the pensions in Spain are not to write home about. It's no problem to build up two pensions at the same time. HTH, Anjo Sterringa

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your suggestions so far! Mar 21, 2005

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I am surprised that you have to do a 15% deduction (income tax?) from your invoiced amounts, as these only really stand for turnover and not for income. I suppose it will all be rectified in the end when doing the annual tax return (or equivalent in Spain). The other thing that surprises me is that you do not deduct anything if working for non-Spanish clients. Also, the distinction between freelancer and "translation services" seems interesting as far as IRPF-deduction. Maybe somebody could tell me more about this? By the way: The English pension system is not something to write home about either, unless the Spanish pensions are even worse... (which by the sound of it seems to be the case).

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Relocating to Spain Nov 23, 2007

Hi there

You sent me this reply (see below) quite a while ago. In the meantime, we have moved to Spain and I am in the process of registering here for tax purposes. Why is it easier to do this on your own in a smaller town? Also, who do I have to approach exactly? I know how to get the NIE number etc. But where do I register as a freelancer or somebody providing translation services? And where do I get a Social Security number from?

Thanks again for your help!
Alex

Yes, first of all, get your NIE or NIF (effectively the same, Numero de Identificación Fiscal/Extrangero). That is straightforward for EU nationals, just a bit time-consuming, at least 4-6 weeks and a few trips to different departments and police stations.

The next step will be to get registered (ponerse de alta) with the social security and revenue authorities - the Seguridad Social and Hacienda (AEAT). If you are going to live outside a big city, you will probably be able to do this yourself. In a big city it might be as well to get a 'gestor' to do it for you.

Social Security costs about 250 euros a month. You pay IRPF (tax) at 15%, by deducting it from each bill you issue. You add 16% VAT to each bill you issue too.

You will make VAT and income tax returns every 3 months (plus annual declarations), again quite complex for beginners initially. [/quote]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Relocating to Spain Nov 23, 2007

Hi there

You kindly replied to me a while ago and we have now moved to Spain. Have you in the meantime made any experience with being registered as "Translation Services" rather than a "Freelance Translator". Also, I am not sure where exactly to register.

Thanks again for helping me out on this!

Alexandra

anjoboira wrote:

ONLY if you register as a freelancer you have to deduct 15% on the invoices, and even then ONLY with Spanish agencies (guess why I prefer working across the border...).
You may also register ('alta') as 'translation services' and then you do not have to bother with the IRPF deduction on the invoice (I will rectify that myself as soon as I move to the North of Spain), at least that's what a trusted ProZ colleague told me. Then IVA is 0% for your invoices to your (VAT-registered) UK and German clients. That makes things easier. I have a gestor who deals with all the paperwork (every 3 moths and then the annual tax return), I think it's well worth it. You can continue paying for your NI in the UK as an expat, that's also well worth doing, as the amount to be paid in is relatively low, and the pensions in Spain are not to write home about. It's no problem to build up two pensions at the same time. HTH, Anjo Sterringa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Relocating from UK to Spain

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs