Tips on software to use translating into Arabic
Thread poster: Nadia Bughrara
Nadia Bughrara
Nadia Bughrara
Local time: 06:01
Italian to English
May 29, 2002

Hi,

My family and I are just starting out as translators. One of the languages we translate into is Arabic. Being based in the UK we needed to buy software to write in Arabic. We bought Universal Word. It works fine but we are having trouble when sending the files. We can save as unicode and send the font we use with it but it doesn\'t necessarily keep the format. Images are fine but obviously cannot be edited. It\'s not so much a technical question as advice from other translators we
... See more
Hi,

My family and I are just starting out as translators. One of the languages we translate into is Arabic. Being based in the UK we needed to buy software to write in Arabic. We bought Universal Word. It works fine but we are having trouble when sending the files. We can save as unicode and send the font we use with it but it doesn\'t necessarily keep the format. Images are fine but obviously cannot be edited. It\'s not so much a technical question as advice from other translators we are after please. What do you use, have you installed Microsoft Arabic? How do you send files that can be viewed by both English and Arabic software? Is there a standard solution? Many questions I know but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Collapse

Ian Wood
Ian Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
Not completely sure but... May 31, 2002

...I know that windows XP has extensive multilanguage support and I believe I saw an option for arabic fonts and input system when installing the Japanese.

I have not tried this personally as I have no knowledge of arabic, but this could be something you may want to look into.

I apologize in advance if I have started you out on a wild goose chase.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
No special software needed Jun 8, 2002

MS Office software (starting from Office 2000) running on Windows (98 SE onwards) has Arabic support. You need to:

• Download \"Arabic Language Support\" from the Microsoft Update website.

• Select the keyboard settings from the windows control panel and add Arabic to the list of languages.

• From the start menu, go to Microsoft Office Tools and select Microsoft Office Language Settings then check the box for Arabic.

... See more
MS Office software (starting from Office 2000) running on Windows (98 SE onwards) has Arabic support. You need to:

• Download \"Arabic Language Support\" from the Microsoft Update website.

• Select the keyboard settings from the windows control panel and add Arabic to the list of languages.

• From the start menu, go to Microsoft Office Tools and select Microsoft Office Language Settings then check the box for Arabic.

some applications will also need additional configuration. Outlook and Outlook Express have additional options for language settings, right-to-left, number format, and other locale options avaialble from the tools-option menu.

With this you will be able to create and exchange most Office documents in English and Arabic. You will also be able to browse, view, and exchange mail in English and Arabic. Remember that most apps have and encoding option in the View menu, ins many cases you will need to use this menu and select Arabic for proper viewing of Arabic text. Auto-detection does not always work as expected.

You will not be able to have Arabic menus, dialog boxes, nor error messages. For this you need to use Arabic Windows, but I doubt if you need this anyway.

Hope this helps.

Alaa Zeineldine

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-08 10:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-08 10:06 ]
Collapse

Yasser El Helw
Yasser El Helw  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2003)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Two hard disks Jun 17, 2002

Ahlan wa sahlan Arabiata,

I had a lot of problems myself as I work in Spanish, English & Arabic. English of course no problem. In the end I opted for having two hard disks, one with Spanish Windows and the other with Arabic Windows. When I start up the computer I press delete go to a blue page and choose from where to boot. HDD-0, Spanish and HDD-1 Arabic. Its not a perfect solution because you have to switch off and on your computer to change language. Good-luck Arabiata

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips on software to use translating into Arabic

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »